DTECH 243 WSSM SLOW BOLT?

jeepnsammys

been trying to shoot a new upper from DTECH but im having issues with the bolt closing hard enough to allow the next round to fire. the hammer will drop but wont leave mark from firing pin. if i reload same round and be sure the bolt shuts hard it fires? could the buffer spring need to be stiffer? it only does this after the first shot sometimes the 2nd ( when its cycling on its own) but even when dropping the bolt closed for the first shot it closes slow (most my ar's slam shut pretty hard but not this one.?

About th only thing that comes to mind is a lot of pressure on the BCG from the loaded rounds in the mag. What happens if you start with only two in the mag?

Are these factory or reloads? Potentially if they are reloads a shoulder bump increase might be in order. That sis so thick it is a bear to resize.

Greg

yes you may be correct. when clip is loaded with 4 rounds which is max capacity its gonna happen for sure usually gets better when theres only 3 in the clip ive never tried only 2. i wonder if a stiffer spring would help slam it shut or would that cause other cycling issues. id really like to have atleast 4 rounds if i could just for coyote hunting but if it wont cycle i guess it wouldnt matter

Do you just have the one 5 round magazine that came with the gun? It could be you have too strong of a magazine spring. I usually load one round shy of the full capacity of a magazine to avoid feeding issues. Maybe you should try other mags like a 10 or 20 rounder with 1 or 2 rounds less than chuck full. Here in Orygun we only need a 5 round mag if we are hunting game animals like deer. Predator hunting has no magazine restrictions. Those states who restrict "high capacity" magazines usually allow a 10 round mag.

Have you talked to Mike at all about this? There's quite a few things different about a Wssm upper than a "normal" caliber. Mine is well broken in, and still doesn't "slam" shut loading the first round. But yours will probably get faster as it breaks in. Quick and easy, polish the feed lips on the magazine with some fine sandpaper or something similar. Keep in mind that every round has friction from both feed lips. It also helps to put a bevel on the front edge of the magazine so the rounds don't catch on it. Then lube the bcg and give it another try.

You may need to help seat the first round. I ALWAYS check the bcg when I chamber a round on any ar when hunting. Learn what it should look like when locked up all the way and just do a quick check when you chamber that round. Nothing worse that squeezing the trigger on that coyote and hearing a click because the bolt wasn't closed all the way.

Of course I'm assuming your ammo fits the chamber and isn't oversized...

One more thing I just thought of. See how it cycles by hand with an empty mag. Do the bolt lugs drag on the feed lips at all? Mike has to lower the mag about an 1/8" for everything to work. This is done by opening the top of the mag catch slot on the mag. Tolerance stacking with some lowers, it might still be too high. A quick check with an empty mag will tell you for sure. I doubt this is the issue but it's worth checking.

the lugs on the bolt actually do hit the lugs on the barrel extension! not bad but its enough if you close the bolt by hand slower then normal it will stop a 1/2" from fully closing then a slight tap and it will snap shut but if there was a loaded round in there with 3 more in the clip creating more pressure on the bolt i think the combination of the 2 are causing my issue? so the barrel extension needs turned a little for proper clearance . is that done by loosening the barrel and a slight turn or ?

Originally Posted By: jeepnsammysthe lugs on the bolt actually do hit the lugs on the barrel extension! not bad but its enough if you close the bolt by hand slower then normal it will stop a 1/2" from fully closing then a slight tap and it will snap shut but if there was a loaded round in there with 3 more in the clip creating more pressure on the bolt i think the combination of the 2 are causing my issue? so the barrel extension needs turned a little for proper clearance . is that done by loosening the barrel and a slight turn or ?

It's not quite that simple and can't be done that way. I would contact Mike and chat with him. I guarantee he will get you up and running no matter what the issue. He stands behind anything he builds so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the outcome on this one.

Greg

sounds like a dry bolt, I use gun grease on mine or synthetic motor oil.

Also lock the bolt back then use the slide release to chamber a round, if the guns fires you have a trigger problem

Back