Rem 700 SPS 20” treaded barrel in .243 cal

CallingArkansas

I’m looking to buy a Rem 700 SPS 20” 1 in 9 twist treaded barrel rifle in .243 cal. Does anyone have any experience with the accuracy of this gun. I’m wanting to set it up as a coyote rifle shooting 70 - 85 grain bullets.

I’m planning to add a can so the 20” heavy threaded barrel seems applicable.

I can’t seem to find any reviews on this particular rifle.

Any knowledge you may have about this rifle would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

I bought that exact same gun this summer.

It shoots 58gr v-max's around .750 with a few different powders.

Have not shot anything heavier than the 58's.

It wears my Harvester 30 can. Super quiet.

I did replace the stock and trigger before ever shooting it for what it's worth.

Hey neighbor I live in Glenwood. Here is my .02 on the Remington 700 SPS. Not .243 but this may help. I found all kinds of reviews on the .308 and .223 SPS. Overall from what I remember and have experienced with my SPS .223 20". Trigger takes some getting used too, I put a Trigger Tech on mine. Surface rust was a common complaint, barrel on mine started to rust first week. First week it was in the cleaning/maintenance rest thingy while I cleaned it, prepped brass, and determined OAL for several different bullet weights and type. I wipe it down everytime I use it, store it in a gunsock in safe with Golden Rod, no problem since. Do not really care for the stock. Common complaint with the stock is the barrel can make contact with forend when firing off rest. I make sure the rifle rest is just in front of the magazine well, no bounce/contact on firing. Another common complaint feeding issues, seems alot of the rifles had an issue feeding the third and fourth round. I also had this issue. I fiddled with the spring and follower and it now feeds fine.

I contacted Remington about the rust, they wanted me to send the rifle back at their expense for possible re finishing, re barreling, or new rifle. I have decided to keep it, because the thing shoots so well. Consistent 100 yard sub MOA and when I am on my game I have shot several sub .5 MOA 5 shot groups, with the stock trigger. I have shot several sub .5 10 shot groups with the Trigger Tech installed. This rifle shoots as well as some of my custom match rifles.

So that is my .02 on the Remington 700 SPS

Hope this helps

I had this setup a couple of hunting seasons ago, I had a great load with REM 9 1/2 primers, 70 gr Nosler BT, and Varget. I had it shooting under 1/2" center to center.

Took a few dogs down too.

Rem matt finish rust problem. Give it a good coat of Johnsons Paste wax, don't buff. I used that on my Rem 870 Express out hunting the coastal salt flats. Just looking at with salty tears in your eyes would cause it to rust.

Drying out after hunting before I started waxing it.

SlBf8X.jpg

Last edited:
Back