What price would it take for you to put up the fur?

i get $75 for every hide I keep. I don't keep them unless they are pretty nice.
Fur buyer gets some that are worth double what she pays, and others that are worth half what she pays. It averages out to a happy fur buyer. I also switched to a 17-223 and have almost no complaints about holes anymore.

Originally Posted By: MartyBOriginally Posted By: YotarunnerWow I'm amazed at the fluctuation between areas not to mention how little some guys are getting and still willing to put up. I don't put any up myself but friends are getting an avg of 100-130$ at auction. I don't have the facilities to put up myself so I sell whole and am getting an avg of $35.

Can you drive across the border to E. Montana with them?

I'll make em avg more than $35usd and you still wont have to skin one.
smile.gif

I have often wondered if I could do that. Thought it would suck to drive 5 hrs to the border to get turned away or worse get my dogs taken away.

You can ship them in, why can't you drive them in? Maybe some state laws saying fur can't enter the states.

Here in Iowa we legally have to retrieve all furbearers (including coyotes), then wanton waste laws apply and you have to use the "usable hide". So if you don't want to deal with it just blow a big ol hole in them with the .243 and convince the warden that its not usable and you are golden. Probably still have to take them from public land, I don't hunt public so I don't know about that. Most private land coyote hunting around me is done for predator control and not many leave the spot they were dropped in.. minus the tail for a farmer bounty. I have someone that takes them from me whole, what he does with them I do not know. So the price would have to be pretty high for me to be skinning them. However I am currently toying with the idea of skinning a few and trying to tan them and make something cool in the spring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerWow I'm amazed at the fluctuation between areas not to mention how little some guys are getting and still willing to put up. I don't put any up myself but friends are getting an avg of 100-130$ at auction. I don't have the facilities to put up myself so I sell whole and am getting an avg of $35.

It looks like you could get 3x that (minimum) if you skinned and sent to auction yourself.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerWow I'm amazed at the fluctuation between areas not to mention how little some guys are getting and still willing to put up. I don't put any up myself but friends are getting an avg of 100-130$ at auction. I don't have the facilities to put up myself so I sell whole and am getting an avg of $35.

If your selling those nice Alberta dogs at 35 apiece, a good fur handler is coming out well.
Our western dogs other than those hi line dogs are not as silver and silky and those are sold for 35 in the round.

Hef-A

The wild fur market is likely to be in extreme flux for the forseeable future and I would be hesitant to expect fur prices to be what anyone would consider "great". One reason is the poor economies of China and Russia, who are the primary market for much of the furs. Another is the ongoing political correctness of not wearing fur. One significant other is the issue with NAFA as you can read (and weep) about HERE

Bobcat, coyote and some other furs may continue to fare well, but I think the best days are past us. I really can't see much demand for beaver or raccoon and would have a hard time taking those unless you are in it for the enjoyment or a nuisance control business.

Yes a lot of flux. Trim fur, cats and coyotes still have a market for the time being. Other wild fur not so much. Ranching of fox and mink still really hurt those markets for wild co products.
Anti's are the major cause of death to all fur markets.

Hef-A

Though I dont shoot a bunch down here in the bottom of Illinois I do get my share. When I was a kid growing up in New Jersey in the 50's-60's I put up fur from Red and grey fox and muskrats. It was good pocket money back then.

Our "winter" coyotes here never, never get any where near good enough for a buyer to even look at them and at 72 yo I am not skinning and prepping for just a few bucks. AS an example, it was about 50* here today and will likely stay that way for a while. No cold, no value in fur. Least not enough for me to even consider working a pelt.

Most of our shooting is done to reduce the predation on calves, fawns and other wildlife species. If we could eliminate the coyote scourge all together there would be a lot of happy farmers and hunters here. Course that will not happen.

Just some comments....

" One reason is the poor economies of China and Russia, who are the primary market for much of the furs."

I find the Chinese market to be pretty good. I take my coyotes to a local Chinese restaraunt and the owner pays me for them.

I do NOT know what he does with the carcass after he skins them, though. I've asked him and his answers were evasive.

Back