.223 or .204 for ground squirrels?

Personally I've been having GREAT FUN "Poppin' Squeeks" and makin' Rabbits do blackflips with .17 HMR using Hornady NTX 15.5gr (and also the CCI Green TNT's 17gr)

Way more accurate then I am. Farthest shot on Ground Squirrel so far was 92yds. But like others above said, it's not like Ground Squirrels run away. Just sit down and be still in a good spot with shooting sticks, and wait.

I happen to have the Savage 93R17 with the Bull-Barrel. Some place had it on sale for like $249.

If you get one of these... HunterSpec has a zippered pouch sleeve for the butt stock. That sleeve raises up your cheek-weld to just right! And it's also very comfortable to rest upon. The stock by itself puts your line of sight just a lil too low below the scope's line of sight. So I kept having to raise my head up off cheek weld ever-so-slightly, which is not good for your accuracy.

I cannot say enough good things about the accuracy of that rifle and cartridge! Rounds go pretty much EXACTLY where you want them to. The only time you have to do some thinking is when the target presents itself much closer, so you have to place the crosshairs above the desired P.O.I. as the bullets path hasn't risen up enough yet in the arc. But that's only like in the first something like 30-40yds.

Just make sure to review a ballistics report about the cartridges you use before ya go out so it's fresh in your mind for that day.

Stronger crosswinds do mess with ya a bit when you're trying to reach out to like 100yd+. Again, review the ballistics report so you have an idea of how much to compensate. But yeah... pretty much anything within 100yds is toast.

And seriously... since I've started using the .17 HMR I have no desire to use the .22 LR anymore.

For spits and giggles, while I was out in the field hunting for Rabbits last year, I found an old expended 12ga shell. I set it up at 80yd, and off the little Kwik Stik shooting sticks it was no problem hitting that thing. The accuracy of that .17 HMR is such a Joy! And... since such low recoil you actually get to see your target get hit in the scope!

Between the two calibers the OP is asking about(I always love how everyone on this forum always goes way out in left field with different exotic odd ball custom caliber answers)...use the KIS method...keep it simple. I would suggest the 223. It’s cheaper to shoot if you don’t reload, you don’t have to waste time to form brass...or care if you loose any for that matter, the barrel won’t heat up as fast, and cheap bulk ammo and brass is available everywhere so it isn’t going to cost an arm and a leg to shoot it if you don’t want to reload. There is so many spent 5.56 casings laying around the range I go to that I would never have to buy any more brass again in my life time if I really wanted to save some $. My little 223 LTR will shoot .3” groups at 200 yards with 40gr nosler ballistic tips and my POF P415 with shoot just as tight with 60gr vmax. Both will shoot tight enough for what you want to accomplish with authority on those little vermin. Good luck with your decision. Which ever one you choose will work so there is no wrong answer.

Last edited:
Blue dot loads in either case would be excellent for ground squirrels.

I shot the 40g in the 223 at 3200 and printed 1.25" groups at 200 yards. Squirrel shooting means high volume shooting.

High volume shooting is often tough on barrels. Blue dot loads are very easy on barrel life. I also have had excellent accuracy and excellent explosions with a cheap 55g Winchester with a load of 26.0-27.0g of Win 748, which is not a HOT load. This load also rarely goes though coyotes.

We shot a ton of 40g bullets out of the 223 AI at 4100, and out of a 22 ppc at 3800. At 3800 right around the 275 yard mark, p. dogs start just falling over.

So, we had multiple loads. For longer shots with the 223 AI and 22 ppc, we shot a 50g Nosler ballistic tip, 50g V max, and 50g TNT which got us good results. H335 gave us very good barrel life with some great speed with the extremes in accuracy.

The 204 would be my choice,using Hornady 24 grain NTX at 4400 fps,flatter shooting,ballistics better than a 223 ,and ammunition is plentiful. The 204 has made me put the 223 in storage,squirrels to coyotes it gets the job done,scary accurate.

22 Hornet is a time tested proven round in skillful hands 200 yards ,it will get the job done,love my CZ American with the set trigger.Probably should show what it can do,with some pictures.

Back