20 Practical build ?

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I have an AR in 20 Practical that I would love to hunt with BUT it is just not me, it feels awkward on a stand . It will get relegated to PD/GS and paper as it shoots lights out.

I do love the little cartridge and have all the loading equipment. So I have a Rem 600 in 6x45 that is gathering dust since I built a 6mm-204. I'm thinking a Criterion Remage barrel 20" in heavy sporter contour for a pelt saving coyote calling rifle(like I need another). This will ride on my MC, a short stubby rifle I tried a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel but to much sewing, it was ideal in size though. Weight isn't a problem as it ride on the bike or in a back scabbard off the bike to the stand. It will most likely get a Meopta Artemis 1.5-6x40mm scope (19 oz) on it.

Your thoughts

Deja Vu. A few years ago I built a 20P on a 600 action. I used an Excalibur barrel. I had it contoured just a tad larger than the factory contour but the same length. Shot absolutely fantastic and was very easy to carry. I refinished the stock in Tru-oil and bed the action. Also had a trigger job done on it to. Stupid me, I sold it to a guy and have regretted it ever since.

Take a look at X-Caliber. That is what mine and the wifes are done with. They both shoot very little groups. I like the 20 Practical and have even built an AR in one.

Thanks for the heads up on X-caliber. They had a sale that the ended on the 2nd of December but due to computer glitch they extended it one day and I was able to get in on it late last night, $120 off. I guess it was meant to be.

I decided to leave the 6x45 Rem 600 as is and am going to rebarrel the 6mm-204 on a Savage action. The Rem. is an old friend, I special ordered it in 1966($69 w/Weaver K-4) in 223 and used it for pelt hunting, small game, ADC work and even won a couple informal BR matches at our club. I shot it in the Egg Shoot in Las Cruses. Last year I had it at the convention and bowled over a couple coyotes with it. It is the first custom I put together after shooting out the original barrel.

Again
Thank You

Last edited:
Back