17 rem loading tips

shelton573

This might seem like a dumb topic, but looking for a little input. I put together a 17 rem off of a savage action with a NSS recoil lug and nut, X-caliber barrel, Timney trigger and Boyds stock. My intentions were to shoot it on our prairie dog hunt this past June but we ended up cancelling. I am now revisiting it getting it up and running. Still need to take some material out of the stock and try to bed the action, but I have made up some loads to get started with.

I started with working some loads up with XBR, Norma brass, 25 gr V-Max and CCI 400 primers. I have always had good luck with the 400s but after some recent reading, it sounds like they may not be a good idea due to cup strength. Any input on this would be helpful.

Next, is there any tips for seating bullets? I am using a hornady seating die with the floating bullet guide, but the bullets still occasionally kick sideways when seating and damage the case mouth. Also, any tips on setting the bullet on the case mouth to be seated without pinching the heck out of my fingers.

I have been reloading for 8 years and this seems to be the most frustrating round so far to load for since it is so small...any tips are appreciated for my rookie questions. Thanks!

Not a 17 Rem ,but 17/204. I run 450s and bullets with a boattail, sure makes life easier.
grin.gif

Have you tried tweezers ?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNot a 17 Rem ,but 17/204. I run 450s and bullets with a boattail, sure makes life easier.
grin.gif

Have you tried tweezers ?

I have not tried the tweezers. My buddy was telling me about a video of a guy that made some custom tweezers for holding the bullets though that I need to look up.

What bullet do you run? Thanks!

Most of my loads are with 4320 with 25gr Kinder golds (till they run out) I've started using Reeds 26gr RBBT. I run them bewteen 3800fps to 3900fps. Seem to be accurate and coyotes don't complain. One thing I found was the Vickerman seating die. I bought the one with the mirco meter and use it to load both the 17 Rem and 17 Hornet. It loads the bullet from the side not the bottom. Best thing I bought for the 17 cal.

Thanks for the info guys! Another issue that I have that I discussed on a previous post a while back is that I am limited to tipped bullets at the moment. The rounds do not lift out of the mag soon enough and the hollow points run into the back of the barrel. I need to remedy this soon since I bought a bunch of hornady 25 gr HP for it before the gun was even put together.

I have been loading and shooting .17 Remingtons for about 40 years now and let me tell you- thing are way better now than they were back when I got started. Much better bullet selection (no kidding!) and I no longer have to use bore cleaning products made for a BB gun.

As far as primers goes I will make no bones about that. I like the CCI BR primer best as they have given me my best groups. But once upon a time a brick of those was like $5 more than the standard SR primers and I did not mind paying the extra. Now a brick of BR caps is about $60 so I have pretty much quit using them. Dont think the squirrels that I shoot are ever going to tell any difference.

I too have the Hornady seating die and it is in my opinion a lot better to use a seating die with the sleeve in it than without. Yes, you need to use a bit of finesse still getting the bullets started straight but really it's not something I ever complain about. I got too many other things that bother me worse than that. I do use a Lyman VLD chamfer tool to get a nice bevel in the neck. That seems to help quite a bit in itself.

I have taken an awful lot of our local ground squirrels with a .17 Remington. The way that little 20 grain Vmax atomizes those creatures is something to behold. And I have used that same bullet to take Wyoming prairie dogs as far as 451 yards too. No toss at that range but it kills them. Under 350 yards it works very well. If going after prairie dog size critters the 25 grain Vmax is a better choice I will admit.

My .17 Rem is a Remage and I have an X-Caliber barrel as well. I put it on a few months ago. I have big plans come springtime being out in the field somewhere close by getting some serious hang time out from a few hapless whistlepigs. As you noticed it takes a bit more patience and determination when using .17 Remingtons than some other calibers. But those things are so much dang fun that makes it all worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: shelton573Thanks for the info guys! Another issue that I have that I discussed on a previous post a while back is that I am limited to tipped bullets at the moment. The rounds do not lift out of the mag soon enough and the hollow points run into the back of the barrel. I need to remedy this soon since I bought a bunch of hornady 25 gr HP for it before the gun was even put together.

A pair of needle nosed pliers and a few minutes will fix that. Mag li adjustment illustrations are all over the net with pics.

Greg

Originally Posted By: RustydustI have been loading and shooting .17 Remingtons for about 40 years now and let me tell you- thing are way better now than they were back when I got started. Much better bullet selection (no kidding!) and I no longer have to use bore cleaning products made for a BB gun.

As far as primers goes I will make no bones about that. I like the CCI BR primer best as they have given me my best groups. But once upon a time a brick of those was like $5 more than the standard SR primers and I did not mind paying the extra. Now a brick of BR caps is about $60 so I have pretty much quit using them. Dont think the squirrels that I shoot are ever going to tell any difference.

I too have the Hornady seating die and it is in my opinion a lot better to use a seating die with the sleeve in it than without. Yes, you need to use a bit of finesse still getting the bullets started straight but really it's not something I ever complain about. I got too many other things that bother me worse than that. I do use a Lyman VLD chamfer tool to get a nice bevel in the neck. That seems to help quite a bit in itself.

I have taken an awful lot of our local ground squirrels with a .17 Remington. The way that little 20 grain Vmax atomizes those creatures is something to behold. And I have used that same bullet to take Wyoming prairie dogs as far as 451 yards too. No toss at that range but it kills them. Under 350 yards it works very well. If going after prairie dog size critters the 25 grain Vmax is a better choice I will admit.

My .17 Rem is a Remage and I have an X-Caliber barrel as well. I put it on a few months ago. I have big plans come springtime being out in the field somewhere close by getting some serious hang time out from a few hapless whistlepigs. As you noticed it takes a bit more patience and determination when using .17 Remingtons than some other calibers. But those things are so much dang fun that makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks for the info Rusty! How do you like your barrel so far? Does it shoot pretty well?

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: shelton573Thanks for the info guys! Another issue that I have that I discussed on a previous post a while back is that I am limited to tipped bullets at the moment. The rounds do not lift out of the mag soon enough and the hollow points run into the back of the barrel. I need to remedy this soon since I bought a bunch of hornady 25 gr HP for it before the gun was even put together.

A pair of needle nosed pliers and a few minutes will fix that. Mag li adjustment illustrations are all over the net with pics.

Greg

Are you talking about bending the mag to push the round up earlier? I have looked for a remedy for it for about a year and haven't found any good info for the savage mag. Any info is appreciated!

Originally Posted By: shelton573[

Thanks for the info Rusty! How do you like your barrel so far? Does it shoot pretty well?

Hey Shelton

Yes it sure does. This is my third X-Caliber barrel but my first in .17 Rem. I have been using CFE 223 powder lately and am well pleased with it. For years I used Varget and loved it (still do) but I think that CFE 223 will be my .17 Rem powder from now on. Just bought an 8 lb jug of it I like it so well.

I hope that you will like your .17 Remmy as much as I like mine. I still get the "what the heck is that?" from folks at the range from time to time. They look astonished when I tell them that the cartridge has been around for a half century. Part of the fun of owning one I guess.

I load for a 22 Hornet and it can screw the mouth and neck of a case up really quick if the bullet doesn't go in straight. One thing that has helped me is putting a champher on the case mouth. Boat tail bullets help a bunch to.

I use the Vickerman dies also. Makes it easy to seat with my fat fingers. Also run Norma brass with Rem 7 1/2's . You have to back the powder off with Norma as the capacity is alot less than Remington brass. I'm using 21.5 of 4895 with 25 Hornady hp's and they are running 4050 with this load. This is in CZ 527 varmint.

Not the Vickerman but they gold medal RCBS with the window. Saves a lot of cussing.
I also chamfer with a VLD cutter.
I tried several of the old stand bys as far as powder. CFE223 and a Remington 71/2 primer won out with accuracy and speed.
I run nothing but 25 grain vmax, though I initially intended on 30’s till Berger fouled that up. The 25’s leave little for me to want.
I got a Shilen full bull for my Savage, installed a single shot follower. This by no means is a carry rifle at 37 pounds. I can see all my hits or misses and do my own spotting.
I snagged a 17 Fireball and set it up the same way only it weighs around 22 pounds. I run the 20 grain bullets through this one.
I do have a strong liking for the 204 Ruger as well. The bone stock Savage that I put into a Choate stock has performed over and above what I ever dreamed of. It shoots 32 and 40’s equally well. Wind issues go to the 40 and little to no hold off. CFE 223 also.

Last edited:
John56 I did a search on 17 caliber bullet makers and the man that bought Kinder's dies lives in Texas and is making kinder golds.

Forester Benchrest seater die is a real finger saver. Rem 7 1/2 primers were developed for the 17 Rem.. I use IMR8208 and IMR4320 with 25gr. bullets. With 30gr. bullets I use H414.
Chan Nagels 25gr. and 30gr. bullets are as good if not better than the Berger Varmint Match. Black Hole 30gr. bullets are every bit as good as Nagel 30's. I am not a fan of Hornady 25gr hp's but some like them.
LIke others on here I've been shooting a 17 Rem. since 1971. My current 17 is a Kimber Montana with a Lilja 9T barrel. It duplicates the factory Kimber contour and length. I built it strictly as a Predator calling rifle.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI suggest that you purchase a set of Forster benchrest dies, give the hornady to someone that you do not like.

Keith

lol.gif
lol.gif

In the mid 80's I purchased my first 17 rem, very few coyote around. Red fox pelts were the main goal, with as little sewing as possible. First couple years I ran w760 and 25 gr Hornady hp. Worked well very accurate problem was shooting between the eyes(sleeping fox) would leave a 2-3 inch split in the head. Not a big problem for sewing, still an issue when having 4-7 a day. Went to the Berger 25 gr varmint(mef) those were magic first 40-50 fox I shot don't remember having to sew any. Body shots, head shots not a problem. Raccoon were a blast, body thump them and they roll over on their back all four legs go to a few seconds. I will be 60 next year last couple years the fingers are starting to get in the way seating bullets. Have had standard RCBS from the beginning, may have to upgrade the seating die, although I been shooting 29 gr bullets for coyote as fox are not as common. The heavy bullets are easier to handle. I run H414 now.

Back