AR for predator hunting

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I won an AR a few years ago at the egg shoot and have got it all set up, it shoots tiny little groups and have worked up loads for 32gr, 34gr and 39gr bullets over the past couple years.

Today I finally took it hunting, big disappointment. It is awkward, both to carry and on the stand. It looks like it will spend the rest of it's life as a safe queen, paper puncher and maybe a pd/gs rifle.

Back to my bolts and combo guns and no longer have to feel guilty about it sitting in the safe, it's where it belongs.

I do like the 20 Practical cartridge and can see a bolt gun in that chambering in the future seeing as I already have dies for it and way too many wildcats with a 204 head stamp.

I tried hunting with an AR a couple of times and feel the same way as you did. I don't even own an AR now. Interesting but no desire to own one anymore. Bolt guns for me.

I found the same thing and think it is much worse in a chair.
Back to the old reliable bolt, more anticipation.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I found the same thing and think it is much worse in a chair.
Back to the old reliable bolt, more anticipation.

What does that mean?

Originally Posted By: AWSI won an AR a few years ago at the egg shoot and have got it all set up, it shoots tiny little groups and have worked up loads for 32gr, 34gr and 39gr bullets over the past couple years.

Today I finally took it hunting, big disappointment. It is awkward, both to carry and on the stand. It looks like it will spend the rest of it's life as a safe queen, paper puncher and maybe a pd/gs rifle.

Back to my bolts and combo guns and no longer have to feel guilty about it sitting in the safe, it's where it belongs.

I do like the 20 Practical cartridge and can see a bolt gun in that chambering in the future seeing as I already have dies for it and way too many wildcats with a 204 head stamp.

Would you like me to send you my address????

I feel about the same too. Have one AR that I bought specifically for coyote hunting (camo pattern,
20" target barrel, etc.) Wanted to have rapid follow up shots that I felt was lacking with a bolt rifle. But after taking it out a few times I also found it felt awkward, especially like the scope was just up way high or something. And I never cared for the brass getting flung 20 yards away and the weird recoil feel and sound (sproing). I'll probably just keep it as a backup, but I MUCH prefer taking out one of my CZs or Contender Carbines. And the number of times I've needed super rapid backup shots has been very minimal - not the least of which is because when I only have 1 shot I'm much more careful about when I pull the trigger.

I will say that the rifle is very well set up, I have a riser on the stock that puts my eye right behind the scope when it hits my shoulder. It just isn't a calling rifle for me.

Yeah I'd ditch that sucker for cheap hehe, but seriously different strokes....

I'm just the opposite, I had decided last spring I was carrying a bolt gun this year. I just couldn't get comfortable enough behind it compared to my ar's.

I sling them just like a bolt gun except I have the sling on the left side so it lays flat on my back.

Originally Posted By: AWSBe sure you have a very large check in with the address.

How about my Obama phone and a couple $50 EBT cards.

‘‘Tis the season for giving;-)

I like both. I hunt with a bolt gun more often because my AR isn't as accurate so I'd rather use a bolt gun. But I've seen AR-15's and shot some that were bolt gun accurate and I like them as varmint rifles/calling rifles.

It's just whatever you're more comfortable with. Guys that have always shot bolt action rifles probably won't stray far from that. For the most part I'm that way but then there have been times when an AR really came in handy.

Last edited:
I can relate to AR's feeling awkward. I tried one and sold it quite quick. However, I'm convinced I didn't give it/me a chance to acclimate to using one, and I really want one for night hunting. So, I recently ordered one from DTech to make sure I get a good shooting AR and am going to use and practice with it to the point I get comfortable.

AR for me. A couple years ago I posted about my first nite out with an AR. I shot a single and then a Triple came in and I was able to shoot all 3 in seconds with 3 shots. I could never have done it with a bolt gun. However I use a bolt gun when I hunt fox at nite because it is quieter and I hunt in semi developed areas.

I hunt with everything. Sometimes an AR,bolt,lever action,revolver. I always have my shotgun with me. I like them all!!!

If I could find a good combo gun at a decent price I would have one of those as well. Maybe someday.

thanks
Jon

Last edited:
A purpose built AR15 is a handy hunting rifle, but handles different than a bolt action. I could not have taken this double under 25 yards with a bolt action.
35031441513_8fe12eb79e_c.jpg

I went a long time with a bolt action, then used an AR for a few years, and now I'm back to the bolt action. Guess I could say that I prefer the bolt action and don't feel like I'm missing out of killing any coyotes without the AR. YMMV!

Last edited:
I agree with the criticisms of the AR. In my case, I have a fused right wrist amongst other things from a car accident, and the pistol grip is pretty much a necessity for me. Other things I like about the AR: I have a short LOP, adjusting the LOP on an AR is easy and allows for winter or summer clothing. It's easy to get a really good trigger. The free float tube helps with accuracy. A float tube with rails allows for easy attachment of accessories such a lights, lasers etc. for night hunting.

Like you, I won an AR in the Egg Shoot (2010). I had never owned one or hunted with one prior to that. However, since it was a PM rifle, I felt an obligation to try it out. I did. At first, my reaction was just like yours - this thing is clunky, loud, uncomfortable, etc. But I stuck with it. After a couple years of dedicated us, I really started warming up to it. It became my primary rifle. A couple years ago I won one of Mo's rifles (Predator Technology Group) in the raffle at the PM convention. It is really purpose built for calling, and now it's my primary rifle for coyotes. Other than a few coyotes incidental to big game hunting, I haven't killed one with a bolt rifle in nearly a decade. I have come to really enjoy hunting with ARs and find them every bit as handy and accurate as a bolt gun, with the added benefit of easy follow up shots. I've killed several multiples and "fixed" bad first shots enough times with an AR to know that using one results in more fur on the ground than I would have with a bolt gun. So I say, "Make mine an AR."

Back