7.62x39?????

MISportsman

I want to put together a dedicated hog gun. I've kind of got hooked on hunting them. Went out with a buddy last year and that was it. Now another buddy just got transferred to Florida in the air force so that gives me an excuse to go down there and hunt. I was looking at the ruger American ranch in 7.62x39. Looking for input on caliber primarily, but open to comments on the gun.

I think the caliber is fine as long as you use a good quality bullet and are selective with your shots. The rifle is fine. I tend to shoot mine in the head with a 223 or 243. This is during the day over a feeder when they come in. Shots are close like 50 yds or so. When I get enough me and a buddy will tag team with 12gauge and buckshot under the feeder at about 20yds. He will start at one end and I at the other end. We don't have a lot of pigs yet in this part of OK.

My pig last year was a heed shot with my .45-70. Worked beautiful, but ammo is a bit steep for it and I don't reload. My other thought was to put a red dot on one of my mosin nagants (probably the m44, its lighter and.has a 20in barrell) but that ddoesn't give me an excuse to buy another gun lol

Well the ruger is a good gun for the money and the round is cheap enough to practice with. It would work fine but like I said get some good hunting rounds for it not any steel cased ammo and you will be good to go.I am last person to need an excuse to buy a gun.lol

thanks
jon

Leave the mosins alone, leave them original. I like them that way.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWhy not get the same rifle in 300BO? Lot better bullets to choose from and should shoot very good also.
Ballistics between the 2 are almost identical and as has been said, bullet selection in the 300BO has more options.
Dedicated hunter, 300BO
High volume plinker with occasional hunting, 7.62x39 due to cheap surplus steel case ammo.

Doesn't mean you can't have some fun.

20191026-094301.jpg

Originally Posted By: crapshootIf accuracy is your main concern, stick with the ruger (no mini30) and premium ammo. Beg to differ, but my Mini30 does quite well with the 125 spire point bullets I feed it over 1680 or 2230, Well under 1 1/2" and more than a few dead pigs under its belt!!

Originally Posted By: Droopyfur2Originally Posted By: crapshootIf accuracy is your main concern, stick with the ruger (no mini30) and premium ammo. Beg to differ, but my Mini30 does quite well with the 125 spire point bullets I feed it over 1680 or 2230, Well under 1 1/2" and more than a few dead pigs under its belt!!

I guess we disagree on what "accuracy" means.

I ended up finding a like new norinco sks for a good price so I picked it up. Surprisingly it is fairly accurate with the wolf fmj stuff I picked up just to try it out. What ammo would be a good choice for hogs?

For steel case stuff, the soft point ammo has better and more consistent expansion than the hp stuff.

I don't shoot the premium stuff.
Also don't shoot hogs so can't say as to how they perform on them.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman6.8 would be a lot better rifle for hogs, if you are starting from Scratch.

I second the 6.8SPC. I have tried .223, .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 300BLK, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC.

If you don't already have a lower pick up something that suits you and put one on these uppers on it......

https://www.blackstonearms.com/category-s/100.htm

I would opt for the adjustable gas block option when you order in case you ever put a can on it.

Last edited:
Yes I did buy an sks which I plan to use most of the time, but if I can get a upper for a couple hundred bucks it could give me another option

Thank you. Momentarily back to the original 7.62x39 question, I was thinking of trying the wolf 154gr sp. It looks to be a pretty tough bullet. Does anyone have any on game experience with it?

Back