Red light with red dot optics?

greenmountainboy

Has anyone tried using a red dot Aimpoint with a red light while hunting at night? I was wondering if the red light makes the red dot hard to see? I was asking Santa for a kill light for x-mas and he wants to know what color it should be. I have read the article in predator xtreme's December issue, the Carnivore guys say they are doing great with white lights. I was also thinking that this setup would work good for home defense too, but back to the color decision again. Any input from you experienced night shooters out there?

greenmountainboy,

Red dot optics work great with red lights, not hard to see at all..

My honest opinion is to stick with red light!!

I sell a lot of lights each year and those who buy a green or white light from me usually come back looking for a way to make their light red..

Jeremiah

I have two Aimpoint 9000SC red dots, love them. One on my Benelli SBE 2 and one on my Mossberg 835. Best red dot scopes on the market IMO.
P1070504.jpg

P2130207.jpg

P7270239.jpg

Beagler~

When you are shotgunning at night ... do you scan at all times with a headlamp while calling? Is that 250 Kill Light on the barrel of your gun white or red? Or do you scan with the light on your barrel?

I have the Aimpoint Pro on my Ar. I love it. My son killed a small whitetail with it on youth weekend. I can't wait to get on to the coyotes with it, fast up close and accurate out to 100ish yards. I am also curious of your m.o.d. for night hunting.

No problem with a Red Dot and a red light.

With the shotgun I don't even use the XLR250 that's on it. When I pick up eyes I tip my scanner on my hat slightly to the right (I'm lefthanded) and that's plenty of light with the Red Dot.

IMAG0679.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyBeagler~

When you are shotgunning at night ... do you scan at all times with a headlamp while calling? Is that 250 Kill Light on the barrel of your gun white or red? Or do you scan with the light on your barrel?

Headlamp remains on at all times while calling, even walking in to my stand on occasion. Shooting light and headlamp are both red LED's. I NEVER scan with a gun mounted light.

shovelheadave,
What Red Dot Sight Are you using? It looks nice and compact.
Is that a 835? If so where did you get that rail for the top of the receiver?

Thanks

Yep, it's an 835 with a Weaver rail. Don't remember what Weaver part number it is, it's the fully slotted one. EGW makes a really good rail for Mossbergs.

Tasco Pro Point Plus PDP6CMP. I had it around so, I figured I'd give it a try on the 835. I'm really happy with it, it's so much easier than crosshairs.

You'll probably notice that I'm using much the same set up as B-, I just started carrying a shotgun this season and he steered me toward a solid set up.

I'm new to predator hunting. Will a gun mounted shooting light (red or green) work with a standerd scope, or would you not be able to see the crosshairs and need illuminated/ red dot?

Originally Posted By: MISportsmanI'm new to predator hunting. Will a gun mounted shooting light (red or green) work with a standerd scope, or would you not be able to see the crosshairs and need illuminated/ red dot?

Yes. You can see the crosshairs of a standard daytime scope while using a light. You don’t need an illuminated reticle but I wouldn’t think it would hurt. All my night hunting setups are standard daytime scopes with a gun mounted shooting light and headlamp for scanning, both in red.

Originally Posted By: MISportsmanThank you. I will set up the same. Are the wicked lights a good setup?

That’s what I use. I have the 403IC and the scanpro. The only issue I’ve ever had with them is the intensity control coil cord switch for the 403IC has developed a short in it. I had another remote pressure switch from an older model thats on/off I was able to use. Also the standard push button tail cap with rheostat still works.

The night eyes lights have good reviews also and he’s a sponsor here. I was looking at his GL-350 the other day.

Back