Alaska Moose Rifle

You might look into using a heavier bullet like around 200 grn. The velocity is a little lower but the heavier bullets seem to anchor game better. Usually get better penetration.

Having packed a rifle all up and down the mountains of WY, get a light, good shooting 270/30-06 class rifle that won't beat you to death in odd firing positions. A good bonded bullet in the 150-200 grain class will do it's job when placed in the right location. Heart and lungs, then work on the shoulders with followups.
Also, shoot close to camp and remember a wounded critter runs downhill and away from camp.
I have a 300 WSM that is a pleasure to carry and shoot, but it is all in the "Eye of the Beer Holder" in what is a pleasure to shoot.
Good luck, and look forward to a nice write up of the father/son double on DIY AK moose

Quote: a wounded critter runs downhill and away from camp.

I see you and I have the same sort of luck when hunting!
smile.gif

Just about anything will kill a moose, but pack for bear. 300 and up are fair choices. I carry a 338 w/ 250 grain bullet. If your doing a drop-in/float type hunt, bears are highly likely.

The AK fish and game people make some good suggestions for moose calibers in the hunting regulations brochure. You might want to reference it.

My friend worked as a fishing guide in Canada and would hunt bear and moose after the lodge closed for the season. He didn't take a rifle with him just borrowed the camp 303 Brit with I believe he said 215gr RN's, they worked just fine.

I am also planning on making almost the same dream hunt come true in a couple of years. I picked up a savage weather warrior .300 win mag for it. Good handling gun. Quality is actually as good or better then the tikka and almost as light. Being light it is a little peppy on the bench, but not bad at all free hand. Get a lead sled shooting rest and put some weight in the bottom tray, that will help tremendously on the bench. As far as ammo, call me old fasion but I like heavy for caliber. I'm going to use either 200gr swift a-frames or 200gr trophy bonded bear claw which ever one ends up shooting better in the rifle.

I have shot or been involved in probably 40 moose kills. 243,257 Roberts,308,30-06,300 Win Mag,338 Win Mag. The last 3 have killed the most. 15 feet to 450 Yards. I also have in the safe: 25-06,280 Rem.,300 WSM,375 H&H,405 Win and 45-70. I usually pack my 06 these days with 165 Barnes.

Good luck on your hunt Robinhood21. I just got back from "your" and my dream hunt. This was my 2nd trip to AK and my 2nd successful moose kill with my .300 win mag, and my 1st float hunt.
15 years ago I killed my bull with 180 gr. partitions at a little over 200 yards. Took two shots before he dropped. This year I only got one shot off before the bull tipped over at about 120 yards. This time I used reloads with 190 gr. accubond LR bullets.
You've chosen a good and capable caliber, just stick with a good bullet and put it where it belongs and you'll get your moose.
They are big. I ended up with 654# at the processor last time and 684# from my bull this year, and that is with bone in the 4 quarters only. That's a lot of meat.
IMG_0093 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
IMG_0110 by Tim Richard, on Flickr

i have shot 2 moose myself and seen 5 others shot. A 300wsm with 180 & 200gr barnes x killed 6 of them and my last a 375 ruger. all are dead so there's no debating its enough gun. But none of the 300's have got a exit hole. The shock and penetration of the 375 is amazing. So if its just for moose id go big. But a 300 will kill them. Don't be afraid to shoot more than once!

Sorry guys, I haven't checked this thread in a while obviously.

We are leaving Kansas City airport on September 2nd and will be in the Alaskan bush on the 3rd. The season starts on the 5th and runs through the 15th. OFFICIALLY 9 MONTHS AND 1 WEEK AWAY!!!

I ended up buying a 300RUM. Remington 700 AWR. Put it in a Greyboe Terrain stock and had a MicroBastard brake installed.

I haven't shot it in a while but I was able to find a good load on my initial load workup.
200gr Accubond over Retumbo (charge weight has slipped my mind at the moment) Recoil wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Tickets and gear have been purchased. Just need to pick up a few odds and ends. A dream is truly becoming a reality
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: songdogGood luck on your hunt Robinhood21. I just got back from "your" and my dream hunt. This was my 2nd trip to AK and my 2nd successful moose kill with my .300 win mag, and my 1st float hunt.
15 years ago I killed my bull with 180 gr. partitions at a little over 200 yards. Took two shots before he dropped. This year I only got one shot off before the bull tipped over at about 120 yards. This time I used reloads with 190 gr. accubond LR bullets.
You've chosen a good and capable caliber, just stick with a good bullet and put it where it belongs and you'll get your moose.
They are big. I ended up with 654# at the processor last time and 684# from my bull this year, and that is with bone in the 4 quarters only. That's a lot of meat.
IMG_0093 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
IMG_0110 by Tim Richard, on Flickr

WOWSER!!! WAY TO GO SONGDOG!!!

I have shot moose and seen them fall. A .270 is traditionally a very adequate gun.
If a larger gun has an uncomfortable kick, put a brake on it.
As said above NO person shooting their first moose is totally prepared mentally for the work ahead nor do they realize how much time taking proper care of the meat and trophy is consumed.

Hef-A

Back