Coyote #20

Snowshoes

Sunday morning I managed a couple hours of hunting before my wife and I were off to the city. With myself having meetings/convention running till Thursday afternoon, that will be enough consecutive days of hotel life for me.

This morning I went back to where I shot the 4 coyotes two Saturday’s ago. Once set up in the same location as previous hunts, I sit back and wait for any passerby coyotes. The temperature was a few degrees above freezing but the 20 mph wind made it feel much colder. Forty five minutes passes and I’m giving some serious thought above leaving but the sight of a coyote trotting past a mere 60 yards away, puts those thoughts to rest.
I bark at the coyote but it doesn’t even slow down, so I howl which does stop it. My northbound traveler is searching for the source of the howl as I line up the cross hairs. Slide the safety off and squeeze the trigger........ but nothing! I then see the bolt is partial “up” which of course won’t let the gun fire. Cycle the action but the coyote has seen enough and makes tracks back the way it came. Feeling a bit frustrated, I pack up, only to see another coyote vacating the area. Never seen the second one until it was too late.

Next location was the big block of bush a couple miles away and I set up on the downwind side. This spot was fairly sheltered from that constant wind. Tried calling but never seen anything but a couple magpies.

From there I drove straight north a mile & parked the truck behind a willow bush. From there I walked north an 1/8 of a mile to a small bush patch. Set up with a round bale at my back and ranged the bush at 108 yards.

After the face mask is on, I start off with a couple howls & wait a couple minutes before switching to yelps. I didn’t plan on being there very long as this bush maybe very thick but it’s only a 100 yards wide by 300 yards long and it shouldn’t take a coyote long to show up. It only takes a half minute for a coyote to show up after the yelps and I can see the coyote scanning the field as I pull the cross hairs onto its chest. A touch of the trigger has a nice female down. (Coyote # 20)

Congrats to #20. What was planted in that field, and what type of planter? It's an odd planter width. Doesn't follow normal grain drill planter width. Thanks

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats to #20. What was planted in that field, and what type of planter? It's an odd planter width. Doesn't follow normal grain drill planter width. Thanks
It was wheat and put in with an air seeder

Ya 20 is a great number and so much time left in your season, looks like its going to be a great season for you
Congrats

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyote#20 already and we aren't even into December yet, what a great start to your year!
I'd be happy if I could keep that trend going
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Gity2Nice
Good looking coyote
Good job
P
Thank you, One of the nicer coyotes I've taken in a while

Originally Posted By: fratriYa 20 is a great number and so much time left in your season, looks like its going to be a great season for you
Congrats

Time will tell but I hope your right
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back