Go to powder for 6.5 Grendel?

NWShooter69

Just picked up one of the Howa mini’s in 6.5 , more of an impulse buy than anything, as such other than a little I have read on the cartridge, I have zero experience with it. Just wondering what others are using. Thinking 107grainers to start . Thanks for the input.

some people have had great results with AA2250, I'm just not one of them. I got some decent groups with it but nothing to really like and most loads tried just didn't group as well as other powders. Your rifle might love the stuff, you just have to experiment to see what works.

I got good results with 8208 and Benchmark, with the accuracy edge going to Benchmark. I'm shooting an Alexander Arms upper, and my gun doesn't like the 123 factory, or reloads. It really likes the 90 gr TNT and 90 gr Varmageddon. Only use my Grendel for coyotes. Let us know how your Howa shoots.

Of course TAC & 8208 are right next to each other on the burn rate chart.

Once I run out of TAC I plan to try 8208, though TAC gets good reviews too.

I've not tried TAC -don't have any- and would be interested to hear your results please.

It's funny, my initial tries with 8208 were not promising. Somehow I decided to try it again & that turned out better, so I did a little more work with it & started seeing some good results.

Just goes to show, it can take a little experimenting to find out

Years ago I did a head to head comparison between TAC & H-335, in the 223 cartridge. One of the main areas was cleanliness. Was it scientific, no. Like often is the case, lower pressure loadings can be a little ‘dirtier’. Did I give unfair advantage to TAC with higher pressure loads? I tried not to. Did I have ‘expectation bias’, maybe.

In my test I fired the same number of H-335 rounds, observed, cleaned, then the same with TAC. In my casual observation it showed TAC being cleaner, less action residue.

One may say, so what. This came up during a dog town trip to SD. An AR action became gummed up after 100’s of rounds fired. Now I mostly use the TAC loads & often do a field cleaning after 2 days.

Johny's Reloading Bench on Youtube did extensive loading with 6.5G. I watched most of them just for fun. Seems he had good luck with H322.

Talk about a clean burning powder!!

Never mind the carbon build up!

Back