22 caliber Bullets

Not too sure what you are asking. If literal hardness of the alloy, I've no idea.

Three or four 55's sectioned here. Not sure if that will help with your question or not.

- DAA

Hardest I’ve used was Sierra 55gr hp gameking. I bought 7 boxes off a buddy that had 1000 rounds of it. I loaded in an 8 twist 223rem . Shot great but by darn it was some hard to anchor coyotes.

Shot a nice fox a couple weeks ago at 35 yds quartering frontal with my favourite 50gr nbt and had no exit. It’s loaded to 3180 and almost a sure thing DRT with coyotes.

One bullet I’ve always wanted to try was Sierra 40gr hp, apparently quite hard and developed for urban police snipers in LA. I shoot a 17-204 mainly thanks in part with lots of advice from DAA and really like it for coyotes and fox.

Originally Posted By: GsjckyI excluding FMJ, what is the hardest 55 gr .224 caliber bullet?

Does it have to be a 55 grain? Nosler sells a 52 grain HPBT that are tough as nails. They sailed right though prairie dogs when I tried them one year. Had a lot of runners so I quit using them. Might be good if someone is looking for a "fur frindly" bullet.

As in hard, I’m looking for the best penetration with expansion for coyotes, just the opposite of the Vmax. Not wanting to save fur, but DRT, with an exit wound. Probably a better expansion.

Originally Posted By: GsjckyAs in hard, I’m looking for the best penetration with expansion for coyotes, just the opposite of the Vmax. Not wanting to save fur, but DRT, with an exit wound. Probably a better expansion.

A bullet that goes all the way through is going to give you less DRT than one that comes alert internally. One the comes apart will do more internal damage. I prefer a hollow point and no exit.

I have had great success with the hornady 2266 55gn spfb. I switched to it after having runners with vmax and varmaggedon.

Rarely have one run now. Cheap and effective

define hard? you have all copper mono metal bullets like barnes makes. I think hornady may make a GMX, bullets have lots of variables, the first is what kind of tip does it have. is it plastic, soft point or HP. then you have different jacket thickness which effects the bullets differently too. what do you want the bullet to do? how fast are you shooting it. bullet discussions are so funny, I love it when someone says Vmaxs from my 22-250 are amazing at dropping coyotes. The funny thing is yeah they worked ok on the 3 coyotes they have killed. you cannot know how a bullet does on coyotes till you have killed about 25 with it, maybe even a few more. However you can know its a bad bullet with one coyote

Gsjcky,

Are you shooting 22-250, 223 Rem or another flavor based on the 22 caliber bullet? The 500 - 800fps difference between .222 Rem and a 220 swift, coupled with wooded area hunters vs. prairie hunters changes everything. (barrel length and usual shot distance)

What works for somebody using a 14.5 barrel out of an AR15 vs somebody shooting the same bullet with a 24 inch 22-250 can be different.

Everybody has their own favorite bullet. I like the Sierra #1390 and the 55gr Nosler BT.

I am waiting to test my Speer Gold Dots and the 60 grain Sierra TMK.

I shoot AR15's with barrel lengths that range from 16 - 24 inches. 2950fps - 3150fps usually...

Originally Posted By: GsjckyAs in hard, I’m looking for the best penetration with expansion for coyotes, just the opposite of the Vmax. Not wanting to save fur, but DRT, with an exit wound. Probably a better expansion.

65gr SGK is my new favorite, 53 v maxes and 52 bergers were splashing too much and causing a lot of running coyotes on shots when the animal was quartered toward me, which seems to be half my shots. 65 SGK are very accurate and hammer coyotes whether you hit bone or not. Great for pelts too, tiny hole in and under an inch exit, coyote or fox, hit bone or not... I love them. They aren't actually that hard and they expand and fragment with the base passing through coyotes but from a gel test or two I've found online they fail the FBIs recommended 16(?) or so inches of penetration.

I just started playing with some 53gr barnes tsx, all copper bullet, that's got to be hard. I hope to get some fox or coyote with them once it get a load mixed up.

I’m using a 22-250. 24 inch barrel, 1/14 twist. Currently I’m shooting 55 gr Hornady sp. last 5 coyotes no exits, 4 DRT, 1 spinner that died less than 2 yards from where he was hit. Shots between 100 & 220 yards. Spinner was shot at 100 yards. Anyone else using Hornady sp’s?

Not wanting to save FUR in Colorado???????????? Best Bullet ----STAY HOME-Shoot Paper COYOTE TARGET

No.. not wanting to save fur. Don’t have the time, space, or desire to put up fur. Sounds like you do, and more power to you. Telling me to stay home? Thanx for your thoughtful input. Funny, all the farmers & ranchers where I hunt seem ok with a little predator control. But what do they know?

Originally Posted By: GsjckyI’m using a 22-250. 24 inch barrel, 1/14 twist. Currently I’m shooting 55 gr Hornady sp. last 5 coyotes no exits, 4 DRT, 1 spinner that died less than 2 yards from where he was hit. Shots between 100 & 220 yards. Spinner was shot at 100 yards. Anyone else using Hornady sp’s? My go to in 22-250 is the Sierra 1365, for coyotes, although I never tried I suspect the Sierra 1330 would probably perform the same with more speed than the 55’s. Sierra uses a heavier jacket in 22 cal than most makers do, way thicker than Hornaday. 4 drt there and 1 spinner is probably not that bad, it’s better than I do with a 223 most of the time

The size of the coyotes may make a difference also.

Most of the coyotes we have are between 20 and 30 pounds. Most of the DRT coyotes that I shoot with my 22-250 don't have exit holes. With my 22-250 most of the coyotes that I shoot that run off a ways before falling dead do have exit holes.

Back in the 1980s I was using Sierra 52 gr Match bullets on coyotes and had lots of exit holes with lots of runners. I switched to the Sierra 55 gr BTHP #1390 bullets and had less exit holes and less runners.

I've shot a lot of coyotes and would much rather have a varmint bullet like a v-max than a deep penetrating bullet like a barnes. I've been pleased with the 55gr nosler ballistic tips in my 22-250 for coyotes.

If you are looking for penetration then you should look at mono bullets like barnes, hammer, hornady gmx or nosler E tip. The nosler partition would be a better comprise for expansion and penetration. But why shoot a more expensive bullet when the varmint bullets are cheaper and better at putting them down quick.

So you comment and say this
Originally Posted By: steve garrettI love it when someone says Vmaxs from my 22-250 are amazing at dropping coyotes. The funny thing is yeah they worked ok on the 3 coyotes they have killed. you cannot know how a bullet does on coyotes till you have killed about 25 with it, maybe even a few more. However you can know its a bad bullet with one coyote

Then turn around in the same post and say this

Originally Posted By: steve garrett My go to in 22-250 is the Sierra 1365, for coyotes, although I never tried I suspect the Sierra 1330 would probably perform the same with more speed than the 55’s. Sierra uses a heavier jacket in 22 cal than most makers do, way thicker than Hornaday. 4 drt there and 1 spinner is probably not that bad, it’s better than I do with a 223 most of the time

So if someone else makes a judgement in 4 coyotes they know nothing but you can do it in 4 coyotes?

I'm going to derail this a bit and try to figure out the fascination, or all out demand in some cases for the infamous DRT, spoken of like it's so much superior.

If a coyote is hit in the heart or lungs with any of these bullets fired within 400 yards most aren't making it further than 30 yards from where they're hit.

I've seen light weight varmint bullets that are known for DRT also explode on shoulder blades in under 50 yard shots and cause 300 yard retrieve. 52gr Berger varmints are particularly soft and I've literally seen the base of bullets fall out of fist size entrance holes when skinning. Or good strong coyote varmint loads ruin fox pelts.

DRT is neat but the failures are quite poor. Plus I have saved more fur from splash damage on coyotes and exit damage on fox when switching from varmint bullets.

I'm sure hunting conditions are a factor, I hunt in thicker areas usually under the moon and the shots I get are the split second shots I get. I've got to get through bone on these well fed thick furred MN dogs if the vitals are behind bone and I dont have time to wait for a perfect broadside or head on shot with the pop and fizzle varmint bullets. If a coyote jumps out of 4 foot tall brush into a small opening and looking right at you sometimes you got to get through a shoulder in a hurry.

Back