Keeping it simple

I think you will be very disappointed. Yesterday I was out with my 1.5-6x40mm scope and forgot to change it from 6x that I was sighting it in at the range. I had a heck of a time picking up that coyote working his way through the sage. I got him but it would have been a lot easier with 60 feet of FOV than 17 feet.

Modern quality variable scopes are so reliable that there is nothing a fixed 4 or 6 can do that a 1-4 or 1.5-6 cant do better.

On a calling rifle FOV is your friend, there is always time to turn a scope power up, never time to turn it down. If I were restricted to using a fixed power scope on a CALLING rifle it would be a 1.5x or 2.5x as most of your shots are going to be under 100 yards anyway.

100 yard group with my deer/big game rifle 7x57R and Weaver K-1.5(1.5x)

E8VvYt.jpg

Last edited:
If you are stuck on fixed I would go with 4 power. I find that my 1x8 does well for me and I find using 4 power and under most of the time. As AWS said it makes it easy to pick up coyotes on the run at the lower powers as it gives more field of view.

Thx guys.... looking to keep it light also. I have an old Burris 1.75x6 looking for a home.. maybe that’s the route I should take.

That’s the way I would go. I have a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on my 204Ruger for calling and it’s my favorite setup. It stays at 2.5x almost all the time. Occasionally I’ll crank it up for those 250 yard shots when one hangs up or gets down wind of me.

VXIII 2.5x8 is what’s on my 22-250. IMHO, best power range for a hunting rifle.it stays on 6x most of the time. Shot a yote at 220 with it the other day, couldn’t have asked for a better sight picture. I’ve had a fixed 4x on my 270 for yrs, and that’s the best rangefinder made. If you can’t see a deer or antelope with a 4x.... you need to get closer!!

I have been very happy using the Leupold M4 and 6. Field of view is not a big concern and one I never notice as I shoot with both eyes open.

Hef-A

Back