Sightmark Wraith vs. ATN X Sight 4k pro

Vance

If you were choosing between these two, which would you choose and why? I know I should bypass both and save up for thermal, but my budget won't be allowing this anytime soon.

Also, would I be better off getting a scanner and just using my red light for now? There are really so many options for someone just getting into this that it's hard to know which way to go.

What type of scanner are you considering, thermal or traditional night vision? Both of those won't come cheap, so if you have the funds to purchase one of those, then perhaps you might look at a thermal rifle scope that might serve as both scanner and shooting scope, at least for the time being. The new Hogster thermal rifle scope looks to be pretty impressive and the price isn't too bad, especially for the model that is a 1.3x scope.

As to choosing between the Wraith and 4k, that's really a personal thing depending on what you want from the scope. There are pros and cons to both. The Wraith is somewhat cheaper but lacking in some of what I consider to be "good features" that the 4k has, like longer eye relief, long lasting battery, video that has audio etc, plus it has a ballistic calculator that works very well. I saw a new 4k the other day for $539 (3-14x model), so while the 4k is slightly higher priced, it's not that much higher if you shop around. The Wraith is a base 4x, so field of view (to my understanding, I haven't checked specs) is somewhat less according to what someone posted the other day. The Wraith however, appears to have very good resolution for a digital scope. The 4k requires 30mm scope rings whereas the Wraith has it's own mount, not rings.

So, it's difficult to recommend one over the other, especially since I have not personally looked through a Wraith or had field time with it. Kirsch has, however; and should be able to shed more information on that one.

I don't think you will go wrong with either if digital is the way you want to go for now.

I would really like to try that Hogster R out, but even with it's lower price it is still out of reach for me right now. I lean towards the ATN 4K due to the things you mention. I see a lot of bashing of ATN on some forums so I was kind of scared off by that. I understand ATN is a U.S. company so I lean that way but not if reviews are terrible.

I had an ATN 3-12 4K Pro. I think it was pretty good for the $$. Buy it from a place you can return it if you need to, make sure it works out of the box, and you should be GTG. I don't think ATN is a "terrible" company.
To me, at that price point, the ATN and Sightmark are virtually identical in cost. I will say the Sightmark product I owned was unacceptable due to very poor battery life. Another issue I had with the Sightmark was there was so little adjustment it ended up costing me almost as much as the scope to buy rails and rings to get it to zero. That issue seems to be resolved, as the Wraith comes with its own mount, but if the battery life isn't any better, it would be a deal breaker for me.
I did not have any issues mounting or with battery life on the ATN 4K Pro.

Originally Posted By: cmatera That issue seems to be resolved, as the Wraith comes with its own mount, but if the battery life isn't any better, it would be a deal breaker for me. Buy a battery pack for the Wraith and you will have all the battery life of the ATN and more. It isn't quite as convenient but still effective. It is just another option. I talk about some helpful accessories for the Wraith here

If you go with either the 4K or the Wraith, I would recommend spending another $100+ on a better IR source or you will be limited to 150 yards and in.

The nice thing about getting the Hogster-R is you can use it as a scope, scanner, or scope/scanner combo.

I’m beginning to think maybe I’m getting ahead of myself here. Should I be looking at a scan device first, then weapon sight second? Just thinking I could really use the scanner maybe more than I need the riflescope.

Anyone use a scanner, then switch to a red light when it’s go time? What is the best value scanner out there?

Vance, with the Hogster being out of reach at $2195 for the lowest priced one (the one I personally would want due to better field of view), you are probably better off with one of the digital rifle scopes at a price of $400 something to $600 something, but they are not ideal for scanning due to limited field of view. If you hunt wide open areas then you might get by with a digital rifle scope for some moderate scanning, but at closer ranges it just won't work well. With the narrow view, you would be constantly moving back and forth.

When talking scanners, most people nowadays automatically think thermal, though some have Gen 3 night vision, and neither of those come cheap. You probably can find a Flir thermal scanner in the teens, but that's about as cheap as you can get for a good enough thermal.

Also, as to using a scanner and switch to red light for shooting, that could be problematic since it's better to keep the red light on and scanning than to abruptly turn it on for shooting. No doubt it's been done but most everyone who has real time behind a red light will tell you to not turn it off, to keep it on the whole time, panning. For a scanner, thermal is the cat's meow for quick detection. If you hunt with a buddy, then one could keep the red light going while the other scans with thermal.

Some guys use thermal for scanning and digital to shoot with, but those two combined will cost as much or more than the Hogster. The Hogster probably is a very good choice for both scanner and scope in one unit, but even then it's difficult to scan a lot with the scope mounted on a rifle.

Maybe someone will join in that might have light and scanner experience to answer your question specifically.

Originally Posted By: VanceI’m beginning to think maybe I’m getting ahead of myself here. Should I be looking at a scan device first, then weapon sight second? Just thinking I could really use the scanner maybe more than I need the riflescope.

Anyone use a scanner, then switch to a red light when it’s go time? What is the best value scanner out there?

I use a thermal scanner, Key XM30 low end scanner, then switch to a digital NV scope to shoot. IMO, having thermal for both is the way to go, but you need some $$ to get there.

Originally Posted By: weekenderOriginally Posted By: Vance

I use a thermal scanner, Key XM30 low end scanner, then switch to a digital NV scope to shoot. IMO, having thermal for both is the way to go, but you need some $$ to get there.

The Pulsar Axion is one that I was considering, how well does that work for you?

I don't have any experience with Bering Optics, but it's the same company that makes the Hogster. You should ask Kirsch, he will probably know. FYI, Night Goggles has reduced the price of the Hogster R to $2,195. Kirsch/Tom may be able to get you into that. Then, you could maybe use it as a scanner w/light or a scope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmateraI don't have any experience with Bering Optics, but it's the same company that makes the Hogster. You should ask Kirsch, he will probably know. FYI, Night Goggles has reduced the price of the Hogster R to $2,195. Kirsch/Tom may be able to get you into that. Then, you could maybe use it as a scanner w/light or a scope.

Ya I'm drooling all over that Hogster !

My hunting buddy used the Hogster-R 35mm all last night as his scanner. He was super impressed and he has used my Pulsar Helion XP38 so he has some thermal experience.

His only comment was the 35mm worked really well and would be a good scope. However, he thought the 25mm would probably be a better choice if you mainly use it as a scanner and only once in a while as a scope. I am hopeful that Bearing Optics will be sending a 25mm so I can do some video/pictures of the field of view and magnification comparisons. More to come on Bering Optics.

Originally Posted By: VanceHey Kirsch, what are your thoughts on the Prodigy pro 2x from Bering? I haven't used one yet. I will be testing a Prodigy 640 scanner, and can let you know my thoughts after testing.

Id go with the sightmark just because sellmark owns them. They also own pulsar and some other companies. Customer service is A+. And they stand by their stuff. Atn has some decent stuff , and they are quick to get a new unit out. But sellmark will help troubleshoot and work with you directly.

Back