Re: Friday & Saturday Singles

Snowshoes

Didn’t go into the office today as my wife and I had to make a trip to the city early in the afternoon. Of course there is always time for a quick morning coyote hunt.
A couple degrees above the freezing mark with a light drizzle was raising havoc with our remaining snow.
Parked the truck and I am looking at a rainbow over the bush patch I plan to call. Figured that has to be a good sign!

By the time I walked the quarter mile to where I would set up, the sky was darkening with threatening clouds.

I flood the bush with some sorrowful sounding rabbit distress which brings two curious coyotes to the edge of the trees. The lead coyote crosses under the fence and stops at the edge of the field. A 71 yard shot has the big male down. Followed up with some yelps but those fell on deaf ears.

Last edited:
Thank you lockrotor
thumbup1.gif

Did three stands this morning but the first two were a bust. Third spot has me set up overlooking a ravine.

Call in a single and shot it at 68 yards.

Last edited:
Congrats on an ugly looking one. Was it in the ravine , or came in from a distance? Again congrats.

Our deer season started today and our oldest son got a nice looking 9pt. 1/2 hr before he shot it, a coyote came across the frozen pond in the middle of the woods and was having a hard time keeping his legs under him, the boy thought it was fun to watch. Shot one close to that woods a couple of years ago, after season will try to go and get him.

Originally Posted By: lockrotor Congrats on an ugly looking one. Was it in the ravine , or came in from a distance? Again congrats.

Our deer season started today and our oldest son got a nice looking 9pt. 1/2 hr before he shot it, a coyote came across the frozen pond in the middle of the woods and was having a hard time keeping his legs under him, the boy thought it was fun to watch. Shot one close to that woods a couple of years ago, after season will try to go and get him.
The coyote was in the ravine and followed the crick to directly below where I was situated. Good to take out those manage infested coyotes but doesn't help the fur cheque
smile.gif

Congratulations to your son on getting his deer on opening day
thumbup1.gif

It was a day of "sons" getting their deer. My son ( with my grandson ) also got his deer today.
He sent me a picture of it shortly after I shot the coyote. He forgot to take field pictures but did take one after it was loaded up.

Man your doing better than me in this poor weather! Only coyotes I have seen have been while elk hunting with the 270. Went back to call the area and it's a dud haha. Good work!

Showshoes,
Thanks for the great hunting stories and photos. They're great. Please keep them coming!! You need a suppressor, you'd eradicate those coyotes!! I'm guessing you're not allowed to have them in Canada or you would have one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerMan your doing better than me in this poor weather! Only coyotes I have seen have been while elk hunting with the 270. Went back to call the area and it's a dud haha. Good work!
I'm calling a few coyotes but sure not seeing the numbers right now.Maybe things will smarten up in December.
Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats to your son and grandson for getting an outstanding big buck.
Listening to my grandson retell the morning hunt was priceless
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyyoteShowshoes,
Thanks for the great hunting stories and photos. They're great. Please keep them coming!! You need a suppressor, you'd eradicate those coyotes!! I'm guessing you're not allowed to have them in Canada or you would have one.
Thank you crazyyote! I appreciate the fine comments.
No Suppressor's, no AR's and no Night hunting allowed here. That probably explains why most the coyotes I get are, old, slow moving, partially deaf and have poor eyesight
smile.gif

Back