30 RAR gets it's first whitetail

204 AR

My Bil and I went in blind, no scouting at all this year but there's always deer on his family's sandhills ranch, you just don't know what kind of bucks there'll be. We saw tons of mulies, just nothing really big enough. I'm kind of picky about shooting immature mule deer, I want them to grow up. He pegged a couple of does Sunday morning, to fill his tag and get some meat. One was with my 30 RAR, 110 gr ttsx, 100 yards through the shoulder. Pass through of course, ran 40 yards and piled up. I almost tagged an interesting whitetail buck that morning but passed.

We cruised the pastures the rest of the day, not finding anything interesting until the very last spot before we were going to call it, this guy and a doe popped up at 100 yards and I knew it was better than anything we'd seen as far as being mature so I said it's going down. They started trotting off, I squeezed early and shot behind it. They took off but stopped on a ridge at 244 yards and I made the shot count. First deer (first time out deer hunting) in 5 years, it was a good time and have some meat to make sausage from, as well as he should make a nice skull mount. Game department guy said he's 3 1/2 years old.
W7vkfQXl.jpg

Back