Meopta Artemis 1.5-6x42mm first impressions

AWS

Retired PM Staff
This a different kind of a scope for me. It is the first Euro scope I've bought, the price is was drastically cut so fit in my price range, under $300.

It is a heavy scope at 19 oz. but it has a 30mm all STEEL tube.

The reticle(German #1) is in the first focal plain. I have a B&L Balvar 8 with the reticle in the FFP also but on low power the crosshairs are quite fine and at 8x I could still use them at the Egg Shoot. The reticle on this scope is still quite bold on 1.5x and shockingly huge on 6x BUT with the pointed post I was able to get a very fine hold on the target shooting a few sob MOA groups while load testing even a couple sub .5. When I first looked through it I thought I would hate it but it is growing on me. I have it mounted on a Mini Howa HB 6.5 Grendel.

The glass is very nice, bullet holes at 100 yards could be seen.

The adjustment turrets also need a little getting used to, they are small and everything is in centimeters, I had to think about that a little but this is going to be a set and forget scope for me.

Final impression, I like it. Other than the weight it is a great calling scope. I wouldn't put it on a lightweight rifle but the HB Mini Howa is about perfect for it and I pack it on the bike or in a back scabbard.

I have a couple of other scopes in this same size range but lighter, both have Illuminated Dots. One is a Alpen Optics XP 1.5-6x40mm and a Burris 4X 1.5-6x40mm both with 30mm tubes but at a little more than a quarter pound lighter make nice scopes for a calling rifle. I also have a Burris SS 1.5-6x40mm and a Sightron II 1.5-6x40mm both with 1" tubes and these are my favorites for a light calling rifle.

The Meopta is a great scope but for me a real rifle specific scope, a rifle with some weight that won't be overloaded with a heavy scope but something that would feel at home with close in and longer range shots. Like I said the 20" HB Mini Howa is perfect for it. I could see this on my AR in 20 Practical also.

I like this scope and it will get out a lot but one will be enough.

First stand on the first hunt with this scope, you can't argue with success.
lxw5tD.jpg

Last edited:
meopta makes some great glass! I have three of their scopes a 1-4x24 R1 k-dot and a ZD 1-4x22 RD both with illuminated reticles and a 4-16x44 R1 with a diamond mil-dot that will focus down to 10 yards on 4x. and they all have better glass than my Steiner military 1-4 but not by much. nothing like European glass and meopta also makes glass for Zeiss and a few others from what I have read and they use Schott glass from what I understand. but yes they are on the heavy side but hard to beat for the money. and before bass pro shop bought out Cabelas their high-end scopes were made by meopta. my buddy picked up a few when they were clearing them out. the glass is just as good as mine but bass pro shop will no longer warranty anything with the Cabelas forever warranty and you have to go through the manufacturer.

Back