32.5lb male tonight

1trkyhntr

I killed this male tonight. A landowner and his buddy had been hearing coyotes on his small farm and he wanted me to come and take both of them along. Based on his description of his "farm" I agreed. Neither of them have ever predator hunted before. When I got there I saw that the field was very small, maybe 5 acres, and the wind was wrong. I didn't expect much.
I suggested that we call for a fox and they agreed. After a couple of distress sounds and nothing came in I howled. Nothing. I tried a different howl, nothing. 3rd howl a pack answered maybe out at 300 yds. A couple more howls with silence in between, 30 seconds of pup distress, silence, then low volume rabbit distress. This male popped out at about 40 yds on a full run. I whispered to them that he was there but before they could get set the coyote turned. The guy on my 2nd rifle was still trying to find the safety. Due to the close range I could not wait. I killed him at about 35 yds. They were both very excited, they think that this is just that easy. I did not try to tell them that we were very lucky, even a blind hog can find an acorn every now and then.
sEQcknE.jpg

They were truly fortunate you took them along ! Willing to bet they wouldn’t have called one in by themselves, lol !
Well done !!

Back