TTSX or Sierra Game Changer

If you shoot the Barnes at long range say 500+ yards they don't mushroom and open up good. I had 2 shot from my 300 Win Mag into Elk at 600 yards that only opened to a very small petals say the first 1/8 inch of slug opened. This is the only time I've shot an animal that far and the only time I've not had a complete pass thru.

I shot a pretty big bodied 8 point this morning with the 130 TTSX. About a 50-60 yd shot. I hit him facing me square in the chest. Dropped where he was standing. Don't get much better than that. Think I'll just keep using the Barnes.

I shot a bruiser Whitetail this past weekend with my 7mm RUM and the Barnes 145 gr LRX. Quartering away from me so I shot him about the third rib back through both lungs and the exit was right behind the opposite shoulder. When I opened him up, both lungs were completely pulverized. I have had nothing but positive results with Barnes bullets.

TTSX need to have a minimum impact velocity of about 1800-2000 fps for best performance. Since they retain 99% weight and penetrate excellently, you should use a light for caliber bullet to boost your velocity to give you extended range.

They work great at normal hunting distances, for most cartridges that means under 400-500 yards. But they aren't a great "long range" bullet because of the required minimum impact velocity and because of their low BCs.

Here's my 80gr TTSX from 300 yards out of my 6DTI into a big blacktail deer. Dropped it instantly. Impact velocity was about 2150 fps. Quartering away, entered lung, crossed thru spine, found under the far side skin at the neck. It seems to have performed "perfectly".
48745343781_3ccda31fa3_c.jpg

That's a typical mushroom for the TSX, Dirty Dog. Below is one (the only TSX I have ever recovered) taken from just under the skin on the offside of a 200+ pound hog from a .308. The bullet (130 gr. TTSX) literally busted through the off side shoulder bone and lodged just under the skin.

43721129562_6450ed8f48_b.jpg

43721129302_73db5a6416_b.jpg

43721129152_152b5c081b_b.jpg

Here's the hunt / shot at the 0:43 mark. Dropped right there. That's been my experience with TSX bullets that most animals drop on the spot, though there have been a couple that didn't.

Back