How picky are yotes?

KjBeachy

So I'm finally picking up hand calls. I've got two open reeds, flextone dogsoldier ones. I can kinda sound like a yote, but in reality, it doesnt sound like one at all 🤣🤣. I was wondering how coyotes react to something that kinda sounds like one of them howling.

I've seen coyotes respond to some pitiful sounding calling and completely ignore calling i thought sounded great. Don't over think it.

Coyotes can be very picky or not at all-too many variables.
I sound pitiful calling and it works for me.
Maybe having confidence in your call helps.

I sound more like a special needs coyote but it works. I think I watched one of Randy Anderson's training videos on YouTube when I first started. They are for Primos but will work the same with about any open Reed calls.

Originally Posted By: Coyote-conquestI sound more like a special needs coyote but it works. I think I watched one of Randy Anderson's training videos on YouTube when I first started. They are for Primos but will work the same with about any open Reed calls.

Special needs coyote perfectly describes my howling lol!

With reed howler I do ok, but diaphragm no, they don’t seem to fit the roof of my mouth. One time I think I’ve got it, the next time it’s all over the place

Pretty sure a coyote can tell the approximate age, and most likely the sex of another coyote by a vocalization. Can you tell those things if a person talks to you? Am I saying that a coyote won't respond to a bad howl, no I am not. It might just confuse them enough to meet this special needs coyote.
unsure.gif

However, when newer callers ask me similar questions, I ask what are you trying to say? I usually get a blank stare back and then they say I am just trying to make a howl. And, yes that is probably a good first step. I then proceed to ask them what I mean are you trying to make a greeting howl, challenge howl, mating invitational howl, and the stare typically continues. You can't get better without practice, but my point is there are tons of different vocalizations coyotes make for different reasons. Try to figure out what type of howls you want to do and keep practicing as vocalizations won't be very effective if you are saying the wrong thing.

My hand-called vocalizations are OK, but I rarely use them. Combination of brutal cold temperatures freezing calls and issues with sore throats after hand calling limits me to only using hand calls on rare occasions.

My partner carries an ancient Lone Howl open reed. It wasn't made to be a howler. Just a compact open reed distress. But Tim howls with it a lot. I call it his zombie duck howl. Because it sounds more like a duck than a coyote, but not a healthy, living duck. Worst imitation of a coyote vocalization I've ever heard.

Coyotes frequently howl back at him. And, we still frequently kill coyotes on stands he uses it.

But I have witnessed enough coyotes that WERE coming, turn and go the other way when they hear what must sound to them, like a coyote trying to howl while swallowing a duck's hind end, that it makes my teeth hurt every single time he makes that gawd awful racket on a stand.

He does it a lot though. Most stands. And we still do alright. Which, is why I can't get him to stop doing it. I wish I could though.

- DAA

Canines definitely have a universal language, sometimes it crosses with humans.
Whenever I would go to my doctors house the neighbors dogs would bark at me non stop.
One day I stopped there very sick and the dogs were barking 10 ft away. I leaned on the tailgate puking for a long time. The dogs whined tilting their heads.
That was a moment of realization even if I didn't feel better.

Coyotes will bark at sirens of emergency vehicles. Will it call them in.. no. I barked at a coyote one night with my mouth. He kept responding until I got bored with it. He never came in.

I used some female coyote vocals on my FoxPro a couple nights ago and one was coming in. (I botched it by getting up and moving to soon. Caught him moving in but I had already started the truck and took one last look with the thermal before leaving.)

Back