Called in a gray tonight

AdamT

Went out tonight to try a new place. Set up in the corner edge of a field about 200 yards across by 100 yards wide. The first bit of cover on the north and east edges is thick clear cut regrowth, followed up by big timber with a few batches of pine thickets.

I started out with nutty nuthatch on and off for 5 or so minutes. Gave it a couple minutes of silence then did a mix of rabbit with the foxpro and a hand call. Still not detecting eyes, I decided to try platinum gray. About 40 seconds into it, I saw eyes bouncing through the thick regrowth to my east.

It bounced out into the open and started following the edge running straight towards me from 3 o’clock but looking at the call that was about 15 yards in front of me. I lip squeaked once I had a clear view of it and got it to stop. Squeeze of the trigger and it dropped. Let the call play for a few minutes longer before I cut it off, timer read 16 minutes 49 seconds.

About 40 paces from my setup, I recovered this really nice gray. 22 Nosler is NOT friendly to a fox, especially at close distance.

49076889041_fbf4253130_o_d.jpg

49076358018_dbcda1a601_o_d.jpg

Some gear specs:
Foxpro Shockwave
22” WOA 22 Nosler w/ 55 gr Nosler BT
Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x50
Scanning headlight / kill light ; both in red
Night Stalker tripod

Nice gray.
I'm jealous that you got to hunt tonight. We've had 10-20 MPH sustained winds since about midnight Friday and expected to continue until sometime Monday.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrNice gray.
I'm jealous that you got to hunt tonight. We've had 10-20 MPH sustained winds since about midnight Friday and expected to continue until sometime Monday.

Thanks. The wind was a little shifty last night, but the storm moving up the coast I guess thats causing your grief, gave me some winds out of the east and north east that we don’t usually get, and made this setup possible. I’d say 2-4 mph, but manageable.

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickGrays are always fun to call in, congrats !

Thanks, this was the first gray fox I’ve called, or even seen, in a long while. Reds seem to be more common. I just wish I would’ve been able to save the hide.

Looks good to me---why can't you save the Hide ???---Skin-flesh --sow and tan it yourself --save as much as your can-With a few more you can make a Hat-or hang in your man cave-to darn pretty to throw a way

Originally Posted By: SVBLooks good to me---why can't you save the Hide ???---Skin-flesh --sow and tan it yourself --save as much as your can-With a few more you can make a Hat-or hang in your man cave-to darn pretty to throw a way

As bad as I wanted to save it, there was about a 6-8” hole on the exit side. Basically from the right front leg to about half way back on that side was missing. I’m not experience enough to try and sew and a guy that I know that does some work with pelts said it was a loss. I’ve been kicking myself over it and usually have a shotgun with me for close in runners like that. Won’t be without it again.

Foxes are very thin skinned. Unfortunately most of the ones that we shoot with .223's, no matter what gr. bullet, are devastated. I can only imagine that the .22 Nosler is even worse.

Back