Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3219302 - 11/22/19 10:57 AM Is this brass toast?
kam582 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Western Iowa, USA

If you look at this brass close you can see a white line running around it. Look closer and you can see what looks like a very uniform cut just above the line. It's deep enough to catch my fingernail on it. I've never encountered this before, and I have s few pieces like this. It's Lapua brass, fired 4 times. I noticed this while trimming. I'm assuming this brass is history. I certainly don't want a case separation.
Thanks.

#3219305 - 11/22/19 11:19 AM Re: Is this brass toast? [Re: kam582]
SlickerThanSnot Online
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
so now photobucket allows you to post a picture on a site but it looks like that?

what a joke.

#3219324 - 11/22/19 01:36 PM Re: Is this brass toast? [Re: kam582]
Hellgate Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Orygun
Can't tell. Too out of focus. In any case with a partial separation I have not been able to feel it on the outside. All I usually see is a shiny ring or partial ring. The thinning portion of the brass is on the inside of the case. Make a scratcher (paper clip or small dental tool pick) and see if there is a circumferential depression/ditch/groove where you are seeing the line. If so, it is toast; if not, it's something else (hopefully) just cosmetic.
Four loadings is a bit short for case life. You may want to adjust your sizer for that rifle. It could be a subtle headspace problem. Not setting the shoulder back so far may fix it. If you have more than one rifle in that caliber you may want to get another sizing die and label them for each rifle.

With over 15 percussion revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap & Ball

If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain

#3219328 - 11/22/19 02:24 PM Re: Is this brass toast? [Re: Hellgate]
DannoBoone Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Walker, IA
Have a Ruger .204 RAP in which brass came out like that, but
EVERY time. Turned out to be a bad chamber, which they did fix.

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.