Is this brass toast?

kam582

CM191121-115109001.jpg

If you look at this brass close you can see a white line running around it. Look closer and you can see what looks like a very uniform cut just above the line. It's deep enough to catch my fingernail on it. I've never encountered this before, and I have s few pieces like this. It's Lapua brass, fired 4 times. I noticed this while trimming. I'm assuming this brass is history. I certainly don't want a case separation.
Thanks.

Can't tell. Too out of focus. In any case with a partial separation I have not been able to feel it on the outside. All I usually see is a shiny ring or partial ring. The thinning portion of the brass is on the inside of the case. Make a scratcher (paper clip or small dental tool pick) and see if there is a circumferential depression/ditch/groove where you are seeing the line. If so, it is toast; if not, it's something else (hopefully) just cosmetic.
Four loadings is a bit short for case life. You may want to adjust your sizer for that rifle. It could be a subtle headspace problem. Not setting the shoulder back so far may fix it. If you have more than one rifle in that caliber you may want to get another sizing die and label them for each rifle.

Have a Ruger .204 RAP in which brass came out like that, but
EVERY time. Turned out to be a bad chamber, which they did fix.

Back