Nonresident wolf hunting?

Rock Knocker

Me and a buddy got to talking, then looking into Montana and Idaho wolf hunting. Tags are cheap, seasons are long, are the tags over the counter though?

Also this all started when my buddy read something online that said a third party group in Idaho was paying out $1000 per wolf kill, has anyone else heard about it? I read through their website and it seemed legitimate but I forgot the name.

Just a thought but 1K per wolf would not even come close to my actual costs over the years, let alone my time. Hunt them for the challenge and excitement, let the internet commandos drool over their keyboards about the bounty!

Forget the details, I need at least one other guy that's got my back on a trip like this, I'm just telling them its $1000 a wolf.

I've got a family friend that's an outfitter in Idaho, I'm sure he could help point me towards some wolves.

If you've got somebody that can point you in the right direction in Idaho that's going to solve a good chunk of your problems right there.

Biggest issue is that wolves travel 20-30 miles a day, may go 100 if prey # are low. Ideally you need to locate a pack hanging in an area with cervids they can catch, patterns,patterns, patterns. Tough for the nonresident. Good wolf habitat carries one per 10 sq miles.

Yes, travel is a huge issue. Here today, gone tomorrow (usually). Wow, a density of 1 per 10sq miles is high. Collared studies here in Western Mt show an average range of 170sq miles to over 300 in the more open areas of central Mt. I will try to find the link. It's an interesting article.

And in Mn we cannot have a season with an estimated 3500+, there are even organizations claiming wolves "may slow or reduce climate change". And the libs want free college, then we will have even more dumb -ss no common sense snow flake tree hugging bambi loving wolf fanatics. Ok done feel better.

Last edited:
The wolves are thick around here. I would put a big plus behind that 3500. I traveled around the west side off Duluth and I couldnt find deer tracks anywhere without wolf right along with them.

It's got to be tough traveling around the Rockies in the winter, snowshoes, skis? I've spent an October in Idaho's sawtooth mountains and it was snowing the first week.

Wolf or not a winter hunting trip in the mountains would be a heck of a trip. Me and a couple buddies are no strangers to winter camping but a week in the mountains with what we can carry in on sleds would be out of our element.

Spotstalkshoot, I'm buying 20+ acres in central MN to build a place on in a week. I know there's wolves in that area and there's 1500 untouched acres to the south and 3000 to the north, I will have to get some cameras out.

Man, with density like that I'm going to have to think about a move to Minnesota if they ever open up a wolf season.
smile.gif

Around Mille Lacs there's guys getting as many wolves on cameras as deer. My dad rifle hunts up there and no one in the group has gotten a deer in years.

I forget exactly how our first wolf season went, I think there was a 300 wolf quota they werent sure was going to be reached but the season had to be shut down in some zones because the quota was met opening weekend?

They're going to need to do something soon, I've heard wolves just north of Elk River for two years and they just admitted they are tracking "two lone males" my [beeep], we've heard packs just outside the suburbs. There's stories about them being taken by handgun by people just walking the dog or checking tree stands.

For some reason Minnesota wolves are tied into Wisconsin and Michigan wolves... with one major problem... 90% of those wolves are in Minnesota with the freaking Mississippi river, St. Croix river and the freaking great lakes blocking them from Wisconsin and Michigan! Where are these wolves going to go? Impossible to travel east in most spots, they aren't going to head out into the plains to the west and they already have been forced south...

Forced south... Within the last 10 years or so three wolves have been killed in Missouri. DNA links them to the upper midwest wolf populations.

Wow, I didnt think that far south. I could swear me and a buddy heard a wolf howl in southeast MN a couple years ago but I figured that may have been a fluke or something other than a wolf, too far south to really be considered but it makes more sense now.

Back