My 2019 Deer Season Has Ended

Bowhntr6pt

New rules in Florida now, season limit on deer is now set at five.

I usually won't hunt until it's cool enough to repel skeeters and it just so happened that the last day of muzzle loader it was cold so I hit the stand on some family property in North FL.

This guy came out on Friday about 20 minutes prior to legal shooting light. He simply didn't hang around long enough and drifted off into the planted pines, I assumed to bed down. I was right.

I slipped out forgoing filling the two feeders nearby and checking the game cameras as I suspected he was still very close.

That afternoon I slipped back in the stand at at about 5:30 PM he emerged coming right at me... a neck shot at about 20 steps sealed my first kill of the season, a really heavy deer for FL but a messed up side made him a 7-pt... I know, you can't ear antlers.

I managed to shoot a 3-pt (one 3-pt rack on one side) for my brother in law but can't find the pic. Shot him at about 25 yards and that sealed deer #2.

I came home and hunted some local property and shot this guy at a trot chasing a doe. That sealed deer #3 for the season, a nice 8-pt.

Back up to the family property and this guy came right by the stand, I could have spit on him, he was eyes locked on the doe at the feeder... he stopped about 15 yards and I bagged deer #4, another nice 8-pt.

Back home and yesterday I shot the fifth and final buck. This guy was chasing a doe and he stopped broadside at about 250 yards. One shot and into the swamp he went. A short easy track and deer #5 was in the bag. A really mature 8-pt buck with broken brow tines.

All in all, a very good season and a fast one at that. Now... on to pigs and coyote.

Last edited:
Back