What's the call pattern right now?

KjBeachy

I havent been keeping up with the forums, and I'm not season enough to know. What's the optimal sounds as far as coyote vocals?

IMO there is not a single magic sound but there are a few vocals that I have more success with than others. You will need to get out and try different sounds to see what works best for you, night by night. On one night they might respond to one sound, no response at all to that sound the next night. Who knows what trips their trigger on any given night?
The call makers are constantly coming out with the new "greatest ever, must have, click here to purchase" sounds but IMO just basic howls and a pup distress are about all that you really need. Your set up is just as important. If they see or smell you it won't matter what sound that you are using. Put yourself as close to them as you can and don't over call.

Last edited:
Don’t let some of the posts of the great success that guys achieve fool you ! There are no perfect calls or sounds that work constantly on these predators. It’s a game of trial & error so to speak. Howls work as do prey screams/ sounds. Can’t tell you the hundreds of hours I’ve spent listening to myself & the caller without seeing or hearing anything.

Most guys put in numerous sets to be successful !

We shot eleven coyotes so far this season however I called in probably twice that many that were not killed. All were called in using a combination of a FEW FoxPro sounds and open reed mouth calls. Like said by others, there is not just one magic sound. There is so much more to consider like call volume, call duration, call sequence, stand location and knowing what sound to use and when to use it. A lot has to do with experience. Both Pa. Mick and 1trkyhntr are spot on. Get out and let the coyote teach you!

Back