KUDOS TO TACTICAL NIGHT VISION COMPANY

Ever since Armasight and IRD splintered off from ATN, there has been a lot of new products, FLIR had to get rid of the ex-ATN president to integrate Armasight into their business and it was a difficult transition but now things have been cleared up. Ex-ATN thermal whiz sold his IRD spinoff to Truijicion and should do much better with more financial backing.

The BOSON is pure FLIR R&D and is finally coming to fruitation, hopefully the 640 BOSON makes it into their Weapon scopes at the next Shot Show, particularly their Gov/LE upscale Weapon scopes.

FLIR SCION 640 BOSON Thermal Video Camera/Hand Scanner was delivered by the brown UPS truck last night!

Scion.JPG

Here is a comparison in size to my old well used FLIR LS-XR scanner:

Scion%20LSXR.jpg

Here is a 40kb pic of a deer at 200 yards in my yard at night @2X with PIP, it is 88 degrees and humidity is 90% dripping wet out....does not do justice to the displayed image.

Deer.jpg

Thanks Skypup. Appreciate the TTL image.

Now show us the rest!!! I know you have more. Your one of the guys here that actually uses this stuff almost NIGHTLY!!! Come on!!! Give em up!!!!

Regards,

G.
Motivational Guide

Originally Posted By: SkyPupSweet Deal.

DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Ready to Fly Thermal Solution - 4K Video & FLIR 640x512 Resolution Thermal Video Simultaneously

https://store.groupgets.com/collections/..._eid=62b8fddfc4

I have recently field tested a drone rig that I had made for the Mavic Pro drone and IMO I would not get any rig that has a fixed camera mount. This setup is somewhat functional because it is running a 640 core but would require a lot of flight maneuvering without a 3 axis gimbal and drone flying at night can be challenging. The more maneuvering you have to do adds to the difficulty of avoiding obstacles, navigation, and will decrease usable flight time by having to position the camera view with drone repositioning.

The drones are very stable but you would need the ability to control the pan/tilt of the camera as well as zoom capability to have a fully functional setup . You can add about $2500 to this price and get a unit with a 3 axis gimbal for the thermal camera.

I sold my thermal setup that was running a 320 Boson camera with a 13.8mm lens on a Mavic Pro drone. I have replaced it with a Mavic 2 Zoom unit which will be used for checking fields for crop damage during the day. Easier to do that and just come back at night after locating fresh hog sign and concentrate on the hunt and not having to run the drone too.

A drone can be very useful for locating hogs and it depends on the specific application and needs of the user as to whether thermal is a worthwhile investment. You always stand the chance of losing the drone in an inaccessible location and that has to be considered also.

Last edited:
G.. I would love see some of that drone footage!!
A drone would be great for recovery up here in the hay fields
and scrub brush.
Good luck, my season starts in 18 days...

Last edited:
I would love to have a drone but due to the extremely thick forests and swamps we hunt in it would not be of much help, plus if we actually saw hogs out in the open prairie swamps at night there would be no way to get to them.

Bet it works great in AG fields though....

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEG.. I would love see some of that drone footage!!
A drone would be great for recovery up here in the hay fields
and scrub brush.
Good luck, my season starts in 18 days...

S. A thermal drone can by useful but as I posted earlier it takes a sizable investment to acquire a viable unit. In the right setting like large open AG fields it would be very useful for locating hogs quickly and pay for itself by helping to minimize crop damage.

I have decided on a different drone tactic. I purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom and will use it to check for hog sign and crop damage locations in the daytime and then go back at night to hunt them. It's not as timely as being on site with a thermal but it still should be effective at locating hog sign out in planted fields which is very difficult once the crops get some growth.

I enjoy flying the drone and it will be a bonus to have it as a tool to make for more effective hog hunting.

I'm sure you are sitting on go for the coyote season. Our season is 24/7 365 days a year and hardly anyone hunts them here. I veered of into hog hunting the last few years but I plan to get started back chasing coyotes when it cools off a little.

I picked this guy up in a peanut field a few weeks ago after the hog hunting was done.

advvIlZ.jpg

Geeze, Pup your slippin, I figured by now you would have built a 32 scale AC-130 Spectre gun ship,complete with forward looking infra red and advanced avionics for those hard to get to hogs!! LOL!!

Nice shot on that dog, G!!

Last edited:
I usually don't get psyched but I am pumped to the max on this one.

Temperature about 55, no moon, pea soup thick fog. NV virtually worthless in the thick fog, as were my eye glasses.

Baited up the forest road real good with 30 lbs of corn, parked about 1/2 mile away and hiked down to the bait site in the middle of the road. Saw two hogs side by side 75 yards out in middle of road, shot this dude in the upper shoulder and he dropped, shot at the other one and hit him but escaped into dog fennel's.

Held scope on him for 30 sec after he went down. Gave my teenage buddy, Tristan, a high five and we're talking. Had FLIR M-24 thermal on helmet and next thing I know he is crawling into thick dog fennel on his front legs, shot him twice again and looked dead. Walked up to him and he gets up and hauls [beeep] again, now in deep thick brambles, ended up emptying my Grendel 10 round mag and had to go up and put my .25 ACP mouse pistol to his skull to finally end the thrashing beast.

What a hunt, super pumped and great fun!

Hog.jpg

Hog%202.jpg

Waiting for the coyotes to show up on hog carcass bait pile with the Howa Mini Action 6.5mm Grendel, so far have got six in the last ten days.

With the Zeiss V6 Conquest 4-18X scope can nail an orange at 200 yards every time!

Howa%20Grendel.JPG

Howa%20Grendel3.JPG

Back