Bonus coyote

Snowshoes

Nothing too special about this evening’s hunt as it was more of a coyote of opportunity.
On the way home today, I see a coyote ¾ mile from home who looked to be busy searching for mouse supper. A nice looking coyote is hard to ignore, so as soon as I got home, it was grab my truck keys and the 223 rifle. Drove back and was happy to see the coyote in relatively the same area. Turned down an old road allowance and parked behind a thick bush patch. With rifle in hand, I made my stalk around the trees and then leap frogged behind a couple round bales to get within shooting range.
The temperatures had warmed up to 43F and the snow was perfect for a quiet stalk ( that and building snowmen and snowballs, if a person was so inclined).
I peaked around the second bale and my heart sank as I couldn’t see the coyote. A desperation scan with the eyes picked the coyote out which was surprisingly closer now and headed my general direction. This coyote, unknown to it, was being very cooperative and I appreciated its efforts. With the aid of the bale, the rifle was lined up and I believe the coyote may have heard me getting the rifle into position. It stops and looks towards me and with a touch of the trigger, the 52 gr hp bullet does it’s job instantly. A decent coyote shot @ roughly 125 yards.

Congrats on the bonus! I wish I had the issue you have in your area with coyotes coming out of the woodwork year after year. Certainly a blessing from your perspective.

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteCongrats on the bonus! I wish I had the issue you have in your area with coyotes coming out of the woodwork year after year. Certainly a blessing from your perspective.
Yes, having a fairly decent population of coyotes in the area I hunt, is truly a bonus.

Back