Sunday Single

Snowshoes

I had very little time to hunt Sunday morning and one quick stand was all I would be able to manage.
I called in one coyote who was coming at a pretty good pace until it got onto the slough ice. A couple quick foot saves on the coyotes part kept it upright. It stops to evaluate what route it should take & I could tell the coyote wasn't comfortable on the slippery surface. It then turned around to either get back onto land or maybe leave the area totally. Not wanting to chance the coyote leaving, I howl to stop it. With crosshairs steadied on the chest, a 52 gr Berger from the 223 is sent on its way. The coyote drops directly in its tracks, which I later range at 132 yards.

Last edited:
thats brave of you to get out on the ice to get him. with the warm weather we have been having im not sure how much i would trust the ice thickness!

BEAUTIFUL COYOTE Congrats nice shot--Thanks for sharing------------

P.S.----years ago I used to carry a heavy fishing pole in the truck with large snag hook and weight for thin ice recovery---worked good for up close work

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yotarunnerthats brave of you to get out on the ice to get him. with the warm weather we have been having im not sure how much i would trust the ice thickness!
The ice looked to be 4'" but I still don't trust it yet. The coyote was only a few feet from the shoreline and I'm kneeling on a grass covered dirt mound when I took the picture ( zoomed the camera up). A long stick was used to drag it closer, where I grabbed it by the ear and then the front leg.
I'm not a fan of ice, even when I know it's thick
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SVBBEAUTIFUL COYOTE Congrats nice shot--Thanks for sharing------------

P.S.----years ago I used to carry a heavy fishing pole in the truck with large snag hook and weight for thin ice recovery---worked good for up close work
It was a decent coyote for sure.
I used to carry a rod and reel for collecting muskrats that were shot in open water but can't say I used one for coyotes on ice
smile.gif
good idea

Back