Encore or bolt action

The guys at MGM do fantastic work. Back when they were with
Virgin Valley Custom Guns, they did a Tac20 Encore barrel for
me. It gave me the best group of my life, a hair over 1/8".

VV and MGM one and the same for the most part. Started over when finance cituation caused problems.

Most problems arise from guys trying to use the same accuracy tricks on a break open as a bolt gun.
You might get away with some of them some of the time.
What I tell guys new to the break open platform, anything you think you know about a bolt gun forget it, it doesn’t apply here.

Break opens shooting on the bench are just frustrating. To much movement of the whole rig to reload and repeat. Oh it can be done, been playing with TC’s since the 80’s.

They are easy to tote for sure.

Took the Encore hunting yesterday morning, and answered my own question. Missed a chip shot on a yote coming in on my first stand. That miss was totally on me. Anyway, couldn’t get reloaded quick enough for a second shot. I think I’ll still use the Encore some when hunting with a partner, but for hunting solo.......bolt action it is.

Originally Posted By: GsjckyTook the Encore hunting yesterday morning, and answered my own question. Missed a chip shot on a yote coming in on my first stand. That miss was totally on me. Anyway, couldn’t get reloaded quick enough for a second shot. I think I’ll still use the Encore some when hunting with a partner, but for hunting solo.......bolt action it is.

One of the beauties of a single shot is it will force you to discipline yourself to not make those mistakes. When I started out about 70 years ago, the majority of fathers that I knew that bought their boys a gun it was a single shot. Virtually every one said it would make them a better and more disciplined shot. Compare that with the spray and pray practice so common today

Sorry to say that at my age I do more coyote hunting on YouTube than in the wild. Don’t think I have seen any with a single shot but have noticed that there are a lot more second, third and fourth shots with semi autos than seconds shots with a bolt, same with the hog hunting shows

Thank you for the advice. My Timney was delivered Thursday. After a little garage time last night, my Vanguard is ready to be sighted in. Mounted a VXIII 2.5x8,installed the trigger, and I’m hoping to find time to get to the range today. Hunting tomorrow with my buddy, so if I don’t make it to the rang...... the Encore makes another trip. A win-win situation..
Thanx again.

VXIII is the only scope I buy anymore. I’m not a believer in high power scopes. This on will be used at 4-6X, and only turned up at the range. 2.5X will be used if I’m calling in a river bottom or something of that nature.
I did get to the range...l very nice trigger. Sighted in 3/4 in high at 100. Should be 1 inch low at 200, 5ish at 300. Ready to hunt tomorrow.

A quick up date. Killed three yotes on Wednesday. 125, 185, & 215 yards. One shot each, DRT. the 22-250 is working just fine.. ordered a new barrel for the Encore today in 223mfrom MGM. Should be here in 6 weeks. Till then
, the bolt action is king.

Back