Evening triple

Snowshoes

For the past few evenings, I have been hearing coyotes howling roughly a half mile south of home,so that would be the area I would focus my attention this afternoon.
I set up along a steep bank overlooking a large slough. The bush across from the big slough is where I hoped a coyote(s) might be.

Start off with a couple howls and then from across the slough, I hear a deep howl, followed shortly with multiple other howls.
Wow, I’m thinking I hit the mother load and I sit back and just let them howl. Soon they stop and its not long before seeing two standing on the ice. I glass the shore line and spot another to the east of the pair. A half minute later I have one standing, one sitting and the other is laying down but at least they are looking my general direction. Switch to some yelps and the next few seconds is a bit of a blur. I had coyotes coming across the ice and I’m not really sure if it was six or seven but my focus was on the first two. I wasn’t sure about the thickness of the ice, so I would be letting them get on shore first before any shooting would take place.
The first coyote clears the cattails and I bark it to a stop at roughly 50 yards, Coyote number one down, the second coyote stops at the edge of the cattails and I drop it at roughly 60 yards. I look and see coyotes scattering across the ice but some more yelps pulls two more back around. They stay in the middle of the slough and once past me, the cut toward the shoreline to get downwind of me. I scan the grasses and cattails to the northeast and soon I’m rewarded with the sight of one of the coyotes. A 126 yard shot has coyote number 3 down.
Tried one more quick series of yelps but the remaining coyotes just barked at me from across the slough. All in all a good day with 7 coyotes down.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameThings got Western quick there. Nice hunt!
Boy I'll say! it's been awhile since I seen a group come in like that!
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerNice! That will make up for those rough ones last week!
That does make up for those mangy mutts from last week
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorVery nice looking coyotes, again congrats on a great hunt and pics, and story for us to follow you on.
Thank you lockrotor,It was a day worthy to share

Originally Posted By: .204Danawesome outing for sure. Not too often does a guy have multiples coming in at the same time.
Pairs yes, multiples like that have been far and few between
smile.gif

Back