Morning Quad

Snowshoes

After freezing rain last night, the roads were a tad icy on my travels to a spot four and half miles from home. I had noticed a couple coyotes in the one field yesterday on my travels, so figured this would be a good spot to check out come morning.
Crusty snow made walking a noisy affair, so the last 100 yards of my journey was spent carefully picking the best trail as possible.
As I crested the last knoll, I could see 3 coyotes slowly making their way westward so I waited till the 3 were out of sight before heading for my lookout/calling spot. Set up on a bank at the southeast side of a slough which offered me a good view. Knowing from past hunts that the coyotes liked to use the lowland along the slough for their travel route to the bedding grounds behind me, I felt confident I may see those coyotes again.
First coyote to come along was a scruffy character and I passed on it as it walked to the south, then stopped,turned around and came back. Stood @ 80 yards broadside for an agonizing 3 or 4 minutes but I fought off the temptation to shoot it. The coyote sits down and I notice it watching me as I glassed the area for other coyotes. Most coyotes would have left but this one decides to get up and come a little closer to investigate. Now standing at 60 yards and I still manage to ignore it. With the sun at my back, I don't think the coyote had any idea what I was.
Finally the coyote turns around, walks into the cattails and I figure that to be the last of seeing it. But no, it comes back out and stands broadside once again.
My will power to hold off shooting has dwindled considerably and the cross hairs are then placed onto its chest. The 52 gr bullet catches the coyote in the chest and it runs off a few yards before piling up at the edge of the slough. (shot was ranged at 88 yards)

I didn’t notice any coyotes on the run after the shot, so I still might have a chance at a decent one coming along. After fifteen minutes pass, I take out my diaphragm reed and give some yelps. Within a couple minutes, I see a coyote pair crest the hill and coming towards me. I wait till the first coyote is roughly 100 yards away before barking to stop it. The coyote stops, turns broadside to look at its partner. A 106 yard shot puts it down (female).

The other coyote ( a male) ran a few yards before stopping to see what its partner was doing. A 137 yard shot has the male down. ( a little darker fur than the female)

With the aid of the diaphragm reed, some more yelps are administered just in case there might be other inquisitive coyotes out there.
Sure enough I see a coyote run to the top of a dirt pile but then disappears as fast as it shows. I keep scanning the surrounding area but the coyote is not visible to my eyes.
Five minutes pass and I’m contemplating leaving but then the coyote starts barking to the southwest of me. Hard to see in the grass but its barking gave up its location. Swing the rifle into position and with a touch of the trigger, the bullet finds it mark. The impact of the bullet sends the coyote stumbling and I watch it fall over a 5 foot bank. (Big male shot at 159 yards)

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameGreat stand and story!
Thank you Ryan
Originally Posted By: lockrotorWhat an outstanding morning, CONGRATS.
I was definitely surprised by the outcome
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: .204Dangreat work as always
Kind of a Carnival shooting gallery type thing going on that morning
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickWhat a morning !!! Great pics ! Felt like I was hunting with you, awesome writing !!!
Thank you Pa.Mick, glad you came along for the ride
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteGreat story and congratulations on the quad! How is the fur looking?
Thank you mantorvilleyote/
The coyotes of late, have been decent

Originally Posted By: SnowshoesOriginally Posted By: fratriNice, very nice story and pics
Thanks fratri, Have you been out yet?

Still trying to get my deer.... its been a little tough but any day now I will start hunting them. Getting tired of going out for deer and not being able to connect with my crossbow... Maybe it is time for coyotes and give myself a break from the deer
smile.gif

Look forward to another winter of your stories. Now I have to catch up on the reading. Thanks for your write ups and pics.

Originally Posted By: luderLook forward to another winter of your stories. Now I have to catch up on the reading. Thanks for your write ups and pics.
Thanks luder, I hope to add a few more stories over the next couple months, time will tell

Back