Looking for loads for a fast twist 22-250.

MH WASH

I have a RAR with a 1&8 twist barrel. Currently have a box of 75 AMax. But am interested in 69 and up bullets.

Thanks

If you have any 75-80 trainers and IMR4831 try that. Shot easy 1/2" MOA in my bolt gun.

It's Sierras accuracy load in one of their older manuals.

I load max+ load published from sierra manual with Hodgdon or IMR 4350 (36+/- grains but start low and work up) behind 80 grain sierra match king with lapua brass and cci large rifle match primers for daughter.. Hodgdon (3225ish) is better velocity for us but IMR (3170ish) shoots straight and far .. 28" barrel may give her a slight velocity advantage. I was going to switch her to 75's but ran across a deal on 1K more 80smk's so left that alone. She mainly only kills Steel from 235 to 1000yds.

A good buddy of mine shoots the 75 grain Amax out of his 22-250 with Superformance. That has been his combo for several years now. No more testing and such.

Winchester has a new powder out called StaBall 6.5 that is supposed to be, as the name implies, a temp stable ball powder, and per Winchester's load data is producing some pretty healthy velocities in cases the size of 22-250, 243, 22/6/6.5 Creedmoor. It could be worth looking at.

I know RL16 is working well in the 22-250 with heavies also.

I settled on 75 Amax and H4831, for now. Varget shot better, but I used all I had developing loads. The H4831 was a close second, and since I don't load 4831 in anything else I figured this a good way to use up what powders I had on the shelf.

H414 provided me the best velocity with 75 AMAX while RL-15 provided me with the most accurate nodes. Either powder is my goto powder for now.

Back