Hunting with solid colors instead of camo?

I wear earth tone clothes a lot as opposed to camo. I never, however wear tan because too many times I hear hunters say,”If it’s brown, it’s down!”. No one shoots at greens.

In late fall I'll wear camo just because I have some. I've always felt it conceals movement better but I can't say for sure. I've always been told it was important to cover as much skin as possible so I have a light camo jacket or a thin long sleeve shirt that I wear. During the winter I always wear tan coveralls or my tan Carhartt Coat. It's just what I have. I'm not going to go out and buy a new camo coat just for hunting. I really do not think it makes a difference as long as you're still

The single biggest mistake I see every winter here in the north, whites that "glow" or shine. If you don't wash with a uv blocker and have a soft surface material you will stand out. When cold snowy weather is broken up with short periods of warmer conditions the snow will settle and crust. In farm country that crusted snow turns gray(wind erosion dirt) makes whites that shine really standout.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI have dark green camo for sitting in front of Junipers and light brown or tan camo for laying in the tan grass or brownish low bushes.

Most of the time I think if you wear a solid color that is about the same color and shade as your surrounding color you will do fine. Some camo is way to dark or way to light to blend in with your surrounding colors.

In the Juniper country I hunt in Carhartt Tan pants with a darker solid green top would work great.

I try to call the coyotes up to within 10 to 15 yards so I can take pictures of them and shoot them with a shotgun. Quite often I have to sit in the sun to get the wind right so I always have camo on with camo gloves and a camo face mask.

I would tend to agree with Bob on this. Animals see colors differently than we do, but they can certainly see our shapes. Many of us have seen coyotes or other animals kick on the jets at the first sight of a person shaped object.

I think that if you are still, and give them something else to focus on and are in clothing with the right tone, you'll be fine.

I use camo and a ghillie suit during the winter months. Anything that I can do to up my odds, I will do. Why play fair?

I wear camo often and sometimes carhartt's. Most of them I have photographed in a natural setting then converted it to black & white or sepia. It is surprising which ones are way too dark or stand out like neon.
Another thing that has increased my success is a face net. Light gloves help if you move your hands too much.

Back