Savage A22 Magnum?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Just curious if anyone is shooting a Savage semiato A22 Magnum and your thoughts about it.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I have a Sav A17, mine is their "Target Sporter Laminate" model, and though I haven't shot it a huge amount, maybe 500-1000rnds through it, it has functioned flawlessly and it'll actually out shoot my Sav 93 17 HMR bolt gun. So if the A22 function and shoot as well, it should make for a really fun semi auto 22mag.

Not sure if the newer ones are any better, but the trigger in my A17 was terrible. I spent a few hours tuning on it and now it's actually pretty good, but out of the box not so much.

They're definitely ammo burners, especially with the Butler Creek 25rnd mag, boy can I burn through the ammo with those things.

I have seen some Youtube videos of it that it seems to work pretty good, and accurate too. Just trying to decide if I am ready to get one.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I have seen some Youtube videos of it that it seems to work pretty good, and accurate too. Just trying to decide if I am ready to get one.

Ahh, what's a few hundred bucks. You know you want one, why wait.
thumbup.gif

I also had the A17 in the heavy barrel laminate stock version. Ran great most of the time (just an occasional failure to feed) and it was extremely accurate. As B23 mentioned it comes with what they call their accutrigger, but I've had a couple Savage 93 bolt rifles and those accutriggers felt different and way better. The A17 trigger wasn't terrible, but not as good as the 93's I had. Only reason I sold it was that I bought it for a walking around rifle but the version I got was too heavy for that.

I have the varmint model with a wraith on top. I just sighted it in the other day with federal 50gr. I shot it out to 100 yards and I am pleased. We can only use shotguns and .22 rimfire at some of our public ground. So I am going to see how it does on coyotes.

I just bought an Savage A22 several days ago. I've wanted one for several years. I have a HK 300, just to pretty to carry in the woods. I put a Vortex Diamond HP scope on this A22 and shot it on Sunday. Functioned perfectly, not a single FTF or FTE. Accuracy was good, I was shooting in 20 degree temps.

Five years ago I had a Savage A17, what a disaster. It would not load a single round after firing one in the chamber. People said put a couple hundred rounds through it and it will be fine! I put 200 rounds through it and it still wouldn't cycle right. I traded it for a RAR 17HMR.

Back