Pulsar Trail XP50 woes... I guess I spoke too soon

I've never had a problem getting through to Sellmark for CS, and they have been outstanding, but my experience as stated is limited to a small sample.

Just got off the phone with Pulsar.

Apparently there are some suspected issues internally involving loose screws and a housing... I'm not sure of the validity of that but my unit has shifted when there was no real temp. difference so maybe that's the problem. Guy said they have discovered these screws have come loose and it's suspected it was due to recoil.

This makes some sense as I usually notice a POI shift after extended use... maybe there is something to this.

I asked WHY has Pulsar not announced this suspect problem? He had no answer. But I'm thankful he mentioned it.

Guy said most likely I will receive a new unit... I sure hope so. Mine is heading back.

Will keep folks updated.

If Pulsar would fix the POI shift issue, and come out with a LRF that ranges through reticle (RTR-I just made that up, hint to Pulsar), I'd be all over it (XP50 LRF). The shifting POI is a deal breaker. Looking forward to updates.

Originally Posted By: igorSo now its loose screws, interesting news, be nice if that's all it was instead of fundamental design problems.

The more I think about it the less I know what to make of it.

Seems to me if an internal housing was "loose" and moving, how could I shoot MOA groups? Seems to me there would be movement after each shot or two no?

I've had zero issues with shooting good groups... it's just the groups move and shift.

I don't know...

Potentially unlimited warranty if they stay in business and honor what they have told me keeps my spirits up a little. Luckily I've got enough scopes now I can just keep them revolving lol. I always worry when they are in transit though.

Originally Posted By: igorPotentially unlimited warranty if they stay in business and honor what they have told me keeps my spirits up a little. Luckily I've got enough scopes now I can just keep them revolving lol. I always worry when they are in transit though.

Last time I sent it back UPS said it wasn't insured so I trashed the shipping label and paid over $150.00 out of pocket. It was a Sunday and I was headed out of town on a business trip and couldn't confirm with Pulsar. I certainly didn't want to have my thermal in my car for a week so I just bit the bullet.

When I talked to Pulsar this time, they said despite the actual shipping label not having associated insurance coverage, they cover the more expensive products like the Trail series of thermals... in short, he said I am covered once I drop it of at UPS. I even had him check with the shipping department while I was on the phone just to make sure.

Originally Posted By: igorBowhntr6pt I remember you posting about that what about 9 months ago and appreciate your passing that on.

Lesson learned last time...

FedEx label received today and the unit is on its way back.

Maybe Pulsar needs to look at aluminum housings.

I like the Pulsar units but I’m not a fan of the plastic bodies.

Bowhntr I'm sorry to say not to get your hopes up with the new unit. I just tested my new replacement Trail after missing numerous coyotes I had on deck.. 5" low 3" right at 100 yds - this is unbelievable!

To add insult to injury these were Canadian border coyotes that bring a very good price. I'm sick about this, calling Sellmarck tomorrow. I want a refund not another unreliable scope in three months.

Originally Posted By: P&YBowhntr I'm sorry to say not to get your hopes up with the new unit. I just tested my new replacement Trail after missing numerous coyotes I had on deck.. 5" low 3" right at 100 yds - this is unbelievable!

To add insult to injury these were Canadian border coyotes that bring a very good price. I'm sick about this, calling Sellmarck tomorrow. I want a refund not another unreliable scope in three months.

Sorry to hear this.

A friend and I went to the range day before yesterday and his is holding zero at 20-degrees colder than when sighted in.

Your POI shift is the most I've seen posted... that's certainly unacceptable.

Please e-mail me an update once you blister Pulsar... I'd be interested in what their response is to your refund request.

Also, you should post this on the Pulsar Users Facebook Page. Whether you like/use social media is not important, documenting the problems are important. I'm thinking of taking on the task of cataloging and tracking Pulsar Trail users and their issues to perhaps consider a consumer class-action of some kind in the future.

My e-mail address is Bob@Signal-0.com

Not the best experience for me either but don't give up on Pulsar just yet. Bought an xp50 Feb. 2017 and sent it back for poi issues and new one had same issue. I needed a scanner so just used it for that for 2.5 years and finally sent it back Aug.2019. 3rd and latest unit has held zero perfectly. Also got a killer deal on an Trail XQ38 and it held zero perfectly till I took it off the weapon to use as a scanner. Tickled to say after almost 3 years finally got a kill with the XP50. Pulsar says the replacement units they are shipping come with a 3 year warranty so you possibly have unlimited warranty if you have to send it in every once in a while. I know that's a hassel.
BzeyhEsm.jpg
VXtuQdnm.jpg

Originally Posted By: igorNot the best experience for me either but don't give up on Pulsar just yet. Bought an xp50 Feb. 2017 and sent it back for poi issues and new one had same issue. I needed a scanner so just used it for that for 2.5 years and finally sent it back Aug.2019. 3rd and latest unit has held zero perfectly. Also got a killer deal on an Trail XQ38 and it held zero perfectly till I took it off the weapon to use as a scanner. Tickled to say after almost 3 years finally got a kill with the XP50. Pulsar says the replacement units they are shipping come with a 3 year warranty so you possibly have unlimited warranty if you have to send it in every once in a while. I know that's a hassel.
BzeyhEsm.jpg
VXtuQdnm.jpg

After thinking about what the guy at Pulsar told me, two different guys at that, I believe they are NOW using locktight on the three screws at the factory that hold the internal housing, whereas in the past, they were not. As a result, the screws needed tightening to the point the housing was cracking under recoil.

Slightly less torque on the screws, coupled with locktight to keep them secure under recoil, just might be the solution to the housing moving due to lose screws or cracking from over tightening.

Yep, new warranty and three more years to track performance.

At least we can thank the good lord Pulsar has been responsive.

"I'm thinking of taking on the task of cataloging and tracking Pulsar Trail users and their issues to perhaps consider a consumer class-action of some kind in the future". Overdue imo, will definitely email you.

Igor-thanks for the info. I'd like to stay with Pulsar. I enjoy the new integrated lrf and as everyone says their customer service.

I went out today and shot with the unit warm and it moved back to zero.

Quite welcome P&Y. A Pulsar Face book page has had some polls that asked about poi shift troubles with not a huge amount of response (100 or so as I recall) and troubles were a minority but it seemed to be about 20% were having issues and that could correspond to maybe thousands in the real world.

Maybe there is still hope but I'm exhausted with it.

Shocking to me that number is only 20%. Judging by how I've seen others maintain zero on day scopes I suspect a good number may have shifting and not even know it. I also suspect maybe my environment is more extreme resulting in more shifting.

Back