Henry .44 Mag bulged cases

dpollard

I am new to the .44 mag cartridge and new to lever actions. Today I went to the range to test out some loads I worked up for my Henry Lever action chambered in .44 Mag.

I am shooting 300 grain Leatherhead cast bullets and Accurate #9 powder. Lee 2nd edition manual showed 15.4-17.2 grains and Lyman #49 showed 15.3-18.0 grains of Accurate #9. I loaded up 5 each of 16.3, 16.6, 16.9, 17.2, 17.5, 17.8. For the first 4 powder increments I would shoot then check the primer for any pressure signs, seeing none, I moved on to the next charge. On my 5th shot of the 17.5 gr load there was a very noticeable bulge at the base of the case that caught my eye. I then proceeded to check the other 4 and noticed the same bulge. At this time I decided to check each case of each charge and each had a bulge, which was slightly less and less as the powder charge decreased, but still noticeable. I did forget my chrono today so I do not have velocity data, unfortunately. I worked up my loads as I have for the last 8 years and have never run into buldding cases before, other than in my Glock pistols.

Is this normal with Henry lever guns and the .44 mag cartridge much like the "Glock Bulge" with Glock handguns?

I'm new at straight wall cased caliber rifles. All I had to go by was what mine looked like. Maybe some of the "in the know" guys will chime in and be more help than me.

if i had to take a W.A.G. id have to speculate that you might have an out of spec chamber. it can happen to any manufacturer... sometimes a bad one gets past QC.

however without more detailed info and some actual measurements nobody here will be able to advise you much further.

i would take some measurements of the fired cases where the buldge, and probably contact henry. offer to send in some pics. Posting pics here will greatly help folks understand what you're dealing with.

good luck diagnosing your issue.

Originally Posted By: crapshootDoes it bulge with factory ammo?

The only factory ammo I have shot through it is the 200 gr Cowboy Action loads. The brass didn't buldge, but the loads felt REALLY light recoiling. Not sure of cowboy action loads are reduced???

Shoot some heavy factory loads and see if the bulge is present. If so return it to Henry. They'll make it right.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI've been loading for glocks since 1997 & I don't know what a "glock bulge" is.

Especially common in Glock 40 S&W and 10mm, which have relatively high pressures. A "glock bulge" happens when the high pressure is met with a partially unsupported chamber and causes the base of the case to bulge. So the legend goes...your mileage may vary.

Back