Question on over shot wads to make up space

masshunter

Just getting into shotshell reloading, took a load out of Lyman #5 manual for 16ga Fiocchi case and primer, 23.5 Longshot, weighed, Rem SP16 wad, 1 oz NP BB weighed,437gr, 49 pellets. This is a very low pressure load, 7,300psi. It doesn't fill the case and the crimp is very dished in, or pellets rattle if a normal looking crimp. Putting two OS16 over shot wads tightened it up, but is that dangerous ? I only loaded 10 shells, but hate to scrap them. I've heard of putting cherrios or dry pinto beans to take up space, but have neither. Am I OK ?

It isn't dangerous but might effect the pattern, only one way to find out. You can put 20ga felt or cork wads under the pellets also. I buy foam caulking backer, it comes in various thicknesses and just slice off the length I need and put under the shot. I roll crimp most of my loads so they always get an over shot card and I get good patterns.

foam caulking backer

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=foa...d&FORM=IGRE

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I have some backer from a project here at home. I've been reading up everything I can might try some different loads in the book, and go to a 1 1/8 charge with those wads. Using the Lyman book, the BP 16 ga manual, and reading the forums on 16 ga Society. Thanks again.

I think that if it was me I'd go with a fiber wad under the wad cup. That should have a minimal affect on the pattern. But as they say, YMMV...

Corn cob media like used in brass vibratory cleaner in bottom of shot cup.
Use anount needed to allow good crimp.
Works great.Don't bother shot pattern.

Can you find a different wad? That's the best solution.
That said.
IF you put anything under the wad it has to be a Nito card.
I simply use foam from meat trays under the shot in the cup.
Find a piece of pipe or tubing the right size and cut it.
It's still a bit mushy so you can squish it when you crimp the hull.
An overshot card will not affect the pattern. I've patterned MANY shells to see nope not a bit.
I use them on ALL my hunting loads and a drop of model glue to seal out any chance of water in the shell.
Using cereal is not a good solution it fills the shell as you load but over time it powers and you have a lot of empty space in the hull changing the presser when you shoot in, in my mind anyway. If a card is enough to use it.

Thanks every one, I loaded a few 1 1/8 oz loads, and that seems to crimp better. Trying some different
loads as I get different components.

Well I fired a couple of those shells with the over shot wads this afternoon, and the patterns were terrible. Good thing I only loaded 10 Fired 4, two from full choke and two from IC, all were bad. I'm gonna break down the remaining 6 and salvage the shot. These were with Longshot a load from the Lyman Manual. A load I took from the BP 16 ga Manual, one once of shot 18 gr Unique, and an overshot wad gave a pretty good pattern, but the 1 1/8 oz load with Longshot gave a nice even pattern.
Now I'm reading about "POWDER MIGRATION" Is that really an issue ? I've been using Rem SP16 wads, and Z16 BP wads. Seems Longshot is the culprit. I also have 800, and Unique.

Powder migration can be a problem when you use wads meant for tapered compression formed hull in a straight wall hull. If you have to use them seat them slowly so the air escaping around the wad doesn't pick up a lot of powder. I use some clear Euro Hulls and you can really see it. Is it a problem, not that I've run into but I really try to use the correct wad for the hull.

Last edited:
Components are tough to come by in my area. Midway is the only one that will ship to Mass. and has free shipping deals sometimes. After deer season I'm going to make some road trips.

Back