Remebrance/Veteran's Day outing

Snowshoes

A cool start to the day with the temperature of -8F ( wind-chill -26F).
With a south wind today, I decide to head north of home to a ravine that I haven't visited for some time. Drove in but unfortunately there was deer hunters already in the area so I vacated and drove 4 miles west and a mile south.
Seen a coyote shortly after leaving the truck but it was north of me and caught my scent....... poof it was gone!
Continued to a treed area that was to the south of where I would set up. Start off with coyote howls, then rabbit distress and followed with pup yelps. No coyotes came to visit.
From there I drove back two miles and then south a half mile. Parked the truck out of sight and after turning on my heated boots, heated gloves and heated vest, I was off to a fence line where I would call from. ( I hope I never short out with all these electronic gizmo’s attached, you’ll be able to see the mushroom cloud for miles).
smile.gif

My view ( the bush is roughly 320 yards away)

Once again I start off with coyote howls which gets return howls from what sounds like 3 or 4 coyotes in the bush.
I wait to see what unfolds and within a half minute, a coyote exits the north end of the bush and is coming on a fast trot. A quick look with the binoculars shows this to be a real scruffy character and when I see another coyote who just exited the south end of the bush, I switch my attention to it. Glassed the second coyote but it looks to be no better than the first. Focus is now back on the first one as it has gotten quite close.
Bark, Bark, and then a howl, finally stops the coyote and the 223AI is put into action.
The 64 gr Berger catches the coyote square and drops in its tracks ( 58 yards)

A quick series of pup yelps to try stop the other coyote before it makes it back to the bush. The coyote not only stops but it turns around and is on the run towards me. It then stops and turns broadside which was great!
Crosshairs placed on the chest and down goes coyote # 2. ( 163 yards)
I thought the second coyote would show up better in the above picture. Circled the coyotes location in red.

After taking a picture of the first coyote, I walk down to the second one.(Turns out it looks worse than the first)!

Left the rifle back at the fence line and normally I carry it with, no matter what. Today however, I left it behind and of course when I get to the second coyote, I see another one standing in the field to the west. This third coyote looked decent through the binoculars (should have been the “scope”)

First time I ever called this spot was in 2002 and I shot two very nice coyotes that morning. Seventeen years later, the same can’t be said about these two. They look more like porcupines!

Congrats to two more ugly one gone from the pack. Get ride of the ugly and it leaves you only with the nice ones. A friend sent me a picture of a wolf he got on trail camera in his deer hunting area. It has shoulder mitts. He saw no deer. Again congrats to a cold day hunt.

Good greif that's a new kinda ugly. Was it like shoulder mites or normal mange? It's hard to tell in the pics but it almost looks like they have been wallowing in a mud puddle. Oh well il take mangy dogs over no dogs anyday!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats to two more ugly one gone from the pack. Get ride of the ugly and it leaves you only with the nice ones. A friend sent me a picture of a wolf he got on trail camera in his deer hunting area. It has shoulder mitts. He saw no deer. Again congrats to a cold day hunt.
I sure hope to start getting a few nice ones soon
smile.gif
One thing we don't see in this area too often in wolves.
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerGood greif that's a new kinda ugly. Was it like shoulder mites or normal mange? It's hard to tell in the pics but it almost looks like they have been wallowing in a mud puddle. Oh well il take mangy dogs over no dogs anyday!
Your are right, calling them in is the name of the game
smile.gif
Decent ones would have been favorable though!
I'm not sure what they have, but thinking more likely shoulder mites.

Back