Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3217939 - 11/11/19 02:11 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
K-22hornet. Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Colorado
So far, in 13-14 different rifles, ranging from .223 to 300 Weatherby, we have not had to change starting COL to get very good accuracy.

I start with published COL, and load up varying power charges. We have always found good accuracy, typically sub-MOA.

Once, with a Hart custom in 300Win, did my buddy play with seating depth, just because this rifle shot so well to start with, he though he could improve on it.

Using a 180 Barnes TTSX, he shot a 4-shot group at 200 yards, that measured 5/8" with the Hart. I stopped him from shooting the 5th shot, as I didn't want him to blow out a great group.

The original X bullets were very temperamental, as to seating depth, powder charge, etc., as were the XLC (blue coated).

The TSX and TTSX have been very easy to find accuracy with.

Edited by K-22hornet. (11/11/19 02:15 PM)

#3217941 - 11/11/19 02:27 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: K-22hornet.]
WyoBull Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Wyoming
Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.
I have been a Barnes user since 1992, in fact, they are all I use for big game, and also in my 22 Hornet for coyotes.

They seem to 'upgrade' the cartridge being used, when they hit game. For example, a 243 works more like a 25-06, a 270 like a 300Win, the Hornet like a 223.

Way back in January/February of 1992, I was reading an article about reloading the 223. The author was the first guy in the U.S. to get hold of a .22cal X bullet, as the first years production of them went to Australia.

What caught my attention about the X, was when the author shot several x bullets into ballistic gel blocks, and the blocks expanded so violently that they knocked the adjacent block off the table. He shot the X out of a Contender, at about 2,600fps MV, about what my Hornet did (pre-Lilgun). No other bullet, at normal 223 speeds, could do that.

So, I bought a box of 45gr X bullets for the Hornet, and noticed a reduction in the runners and floppers I had (coyotes), compared to any other bullet I tried.

To this day, I use the 45gr XLC's in my Hornet for coyotes. When I run out of those, I'll use the 45gr TSX.

I would concur 100% that they perform like a heavier bullet than they actually are, in fact, Barnes will tell you they perform like a bullet 30% heavier. I would agree with what they say.
A friend of mine and I hunted Africa about 5 years ago now and he had a problem with his scope rings so he used my 7mm RUM loaded with 140 gr Barnes TSX bullets. We shot 13 animals with my rifle, all plains game from Kudu to Sable to Hartebeest and I can tell you that not one animal took a step from where they were shot. We only recovered one bullet and that was from my Blue Wildebeest. I shot him directly through both front shoulders and the bullet hung up just inside and opposite side under the hair. Everything else was a complete pass through with devastating internal damage.
My experience with Barnes bullets has been outstanding and I have enough of them on my reloading bench to last my lifetime.

#3218075 - 11/12/19 03:00 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
shelton573 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: SE Missouri
In my 243, I ran the game changers last year. My brother shot a deer with it at about 75 yds. Hit her right behind the shoulder and she ran about 20 yards and piled up. The bullet did not exit but it caused severe damage inside. When we skinned her, we found the bullet under he hide on the offside. The jacket was peeled back like it is supposed to, but it dumped all the lead core out into her vitals. I have to think if it retained the weight of the core it would have pushed out the other side. I used them on two coyotes out in the cattle pasture and it left devastating holes like expected.

#3218090 - 11/12/19 06:39 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
I decided to go with the TTSX mainly because of reviews here and from fellow gun club members. Seems everyone says the same thing about how they dump animals usually where they stand. Also because using a load a friend told me about shoots so well in my Remington 700. Bone stock with a Leupold will put three touching at 100 yards after the barrel is fouled. A clean barrel usually has two touching and one just a little out of the group but not enough that you would miss what your shooting at.

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

#3218243 - 11/14/19 07:09 AM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
Ghostman Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Maryland
Sierra makes good accurate bullets which I use for target shooting. Their hunting line of bullets are standard cup & core design which I'm not impressed with. I'll take a Branes any day over a Game Changer bullet

#3218332 - 11/14/19 09:57 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
Bear Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Colorado USA
If you shoot the Barnes at long range say 500+ yards they don't mushroom and open up good. I had 2 shot from my 300 Win Mag into Elk at 600 yards that only opened to a very small petals say the first 1/8 inch of slug opened. This is the only time I've shot an animal that far and the only time I've not had a complete pass thru.

#3219505 - 11/23/19 08:20 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
I shot a pretty big bodied 8 point this morning with the 130 TTSX. About a 50-60 yd shot. I hit him facing me square in the chest. Dropped where he was standing. Don't get much better than that. Think I'll just keep using the Barnes.

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

#3219818 - 11/26/19 10:56 AM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
WyoBull Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Wyoming
I shot a bruiser Whitetail this past weekend with my 7mm RUM and the Barnes 145 gr LRX. Quartering away from me so I shot him about the third rib back through both lungs and the exit was right behind the opposite shoulder. When I opened him up, both lungs were completely pulverized. I have had nothing but positive results with Barnes bullets.

#3219854 - 11/26/19 02:12 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
DiRTY DOG Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: West
TTSX need to have a minimum impact velocity of about 1800-2000 fps for best performance. Since they retain 99% weight and penetrate excellently, you should use a light for caliber bullet to boost your velocity to give you extended range.

They work great at normal hunting distances, for most cartridges that means under 400-500 yards. But they aren't a great "long range" bullet because of the required minimum impact velocity and because of their low BCs.

Here's my 80gr TTSX from 300 yards out of my 6DTI into a big blacktail deer. Dropped it instantly. Impact velocity was about 2150 fps. Quartering away, entered lung, crossed thru spine, found under the far side skin at the neck. It seems to have performed "perfectly".

#3220323 - 11/29/19 09:37 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
6mm06 Online
PM senior

Loc: USA

That's a typical mushroom for the TSX, Dirty Dog. Below is one (the only TSX I have ever recovered) taken from just under the skin on the offside of a 200+ pound hog from a .308. The bullet (130 gr. TTSX) literally busted through the off side shoulder bone and lodged just under the skin.

Here's the hunt / shot at the 0:43 mark. Dropped right there. That's been my experience with TSX bullets that most animals drop on the spot, though there have been a couple that didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJClkkYIs5U

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.