Question for guys that shoot a lot of red foxes.

OKRattler

How common is it to see one with white and black feet? Kind of an off the wall question but I haven't seen enough of them to know.

Shot hundreds in the 80s and 90s. Got just one or two like that. They look cool. Someone told me they had ranch fox blood in em. Don’t know if it’s true.

I don't either. There's no fox ranches around here but my buddy has one in the freezer he's had for a while (6 years at least) so I got it out and skinned it yesterday. I'm going to have it tanned so it doesn't go to waste. It had white feet and I don't recall ever seeing that but then again I've only seen a few here and there and didn't pay any attention to that.

Unfortunately it's feet,tail and face were freezer burnt after being in the freezer all that time. The skin on the feet tore so I didn't get to keep that on the pelt. That's a bummer honestly. I've never shot a red fox so I can't let it go to waste. Had I of known what I know now after asking around and doing research I could have skinned the feet out the way I planned. I just have to rehydrate the face and the tail before finishing skinning it out so I don't ruin it anymore than I already have.

Last edited:
How about the guys that have killed a few red foxes,ever shot one with white paws? Maybe try opening the question up to a broader range of people.

I hope this link works since I am on my iphone at the moment.

Rattler, I have been seeing a red fox with white stocking back legs for over a year now. It visits my coyote bait site fairly often. This is the first red fox like this that I have ever seen. I am 68 years old, used to trap fox back in the day, and have shot some over the years as well as monitored trail cameras with numerous fox to see. This one is rare, or at least in my experience it is. There are no fox farms around here either and I have never known of one.

The fox is around the 044 mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwks-DvE9VM

That is cool looking. I'd be thrilled to get a shot at a red fox with the normal black feet let alone one with white socks on. They sure are pretty animals.

It has crossed my mind to wait until he is furred up good and get him, to have either mounted or tanned. A nice mount would be peachy keen, but expensive, and also would need to take him with something fur friendly.

Oh for sure man I know I would. My first red will be full body mounted. It might not have white feet when that day comes but I can only hope because I think it's pretty unique.

I have one full-bodied red fox mount already, and they are fairly common here, so it takes something special to get me excited. I have deliberately not taken him so far and have gone as far as to run him off when staying at the cabin in hopes of a coyote on the bait site.

I have always wanted to shoot a red fox that had some more black in it. But to this day I have killed in the thousands of reds and never killed one that was different enough to make me want to mount it. Maybe one day.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I have one full-bodied red fox mount already, and they are fairly common here, so it takes something special to get me excited. I have deliberately not taken him so far and have gone as far as to run him off when staying at the cabin in hopes of a coyote on the bait site.

I'd be worried a coyote would catch it and kill it. I've always heard coyotes hate red foxes and will kill them any chance they get. I know any time we get a red fox around here the first thing it does is play in the highway and ends up getting hit. The coyotes don't even have to do anything except wait.

Originally Posted By: reaper4I have always wanted to shoot a red fox that had some more black in it. But to this day I have killed in the thousands of reds and never killed one that was different enough to make me want to mount it. Maybe one day.

I think at the rate you're going there's a high probability you'll get one. You've stacked a pile or two in your day no doubt.

Well, you never know when something might happen to the white-footed fox, but he has been around at least a year, coming to my bait site on and off during that time. I haven’t seen him for maybe three weeks or so, but there was a different (normal) red there recently too, and three different gray fox. We have coyotes in the area but not an abundance of them, and whether or not they take any fox I can’t say, but we always seem to have both around.

It sure would be cool to get him once he's furred up good. I still have to work some more on skinning the rest of the red fox I started this thread about and what made me think of the question. I'm mostly done except for the freezer burnt parts that I have to rehydrate.

Since foxes are easy to come by up there that's another option I suppose. Having a pelt tanned is a whole lot cheaper than a full body mount. I plan on having this ones pelt hung up along with a badger pelt and at some point I'll get a bobcat to go along with them.

Last edited:
Back