Tickle in the throat

Heymartay

Why is it I always have to cough when I'm out calling? I can be fine all day, get me sitting on stand and my throat starts tickling and drives me nuts, even if I'm not blowing a call. Suck on lozenges but still doesn't last long. Anybody got an answer ?

You are most likely coughing like that without thinking about it but on the stand it comes to the front of things and you notice it. Allergy tabs to stop the drainage and if you smoke quit, in a couple years the coughing will mostly stop until the asthma from smoking kicks in. I quit smoking in 76 and it wasn't until I retired that the asthma started to let up.

No smoking here,just 40some years of drywall dust. Just went through a battery of tests and got cleared of asthma and copd.And I take a prescription allergy pill, I get bronchial and it won't go away. Retiring at end of the month , hopefully things quiet down. Guess I just play the caller louder.

I am not a smoker either, but I too get on stand and then start coughing. Like AWS mentioned, I think I only notice the coughing when I am trying hard to be quiet. Years ago I purchased one of those cough suppressor deals that you cough into to supposedly quieten it. Didn’t really help so I abandoned that idea. My sinuses run quite a bit and I have found that keeping my nose blown helps more than anything with lessening the drainage that tickles / irritates my throat.

You may want to take a non drowsy antihistamine each day like claritin. My wife takes it daily to assist in helping her asthma.

Originally Posted By: HellgateYou may want to take a non drowsy antihistamine each day like claritin. My wife takes it daily to assist in helping her asthma.

Worked in chemical plants for close to 25 years, 70 % lung capacity and allergies. Claritin or Zyrtec (I prefer the Zyrtec) helps quell the post nasal drip which causes the cough. If that fails, and it does at times, rinse nasal passages w/saline nasal spray at bedtime. May take a couple or three days to dry it up but that generally works.

Regards,
hps

I do take a Claritin at night , I do have a nasal rinse bottle , never thought to use it at night, gonna have to try it thanks .

Usually works best for me at night. I can usually feel a wad of stuff building up at base on sinuses and start the saline treatment. If really bad, I might use it a couple times a day.

Good luck, hope it helps!

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: azpredatorhunterSome types of blood pressure medications will cause a tickle in your throat.
That’s true. One of the side affects is dry cough.

I have dealt with asthma and allergies all my life. I've found that you will build up a resistance over time to any of the medications used to combat either one. My solution has been to switch to a medication that uses a different chemical to control the condition when one begins to lose it's usefulness. This is especially true with allergies.

Afrin works bur if used regular will prevent your sinus normal function and you'll need it all the time. I only use it if I'm plugged.
I'll second or third the high blood pressure med cough thing.. Been there done that got it switched out to amolodopine no more coughing and staying awake all night.
Ever notice in church when everyone bows their head in prayer that the coughing picks up dramatically?

I always have a thermos of coffee, bottle of water, and an empty plastic container so as to not leave any territorial makings on the ground. I snipe for long periods of time, in one place. I know their trails, and it's just a matter of time whern they show up.
Medicine makes me sleepy. If its that time of year for having a cold, I just don't go out. They have too good of hearing to be coughing, and think you're getting away with them not hearing you.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: azpredatorhunterSome types of blood pressure medications will cause a tickle in your throat.
That’s true. One of the side affects is dry cough.

This is what I was going to ask.... If your taking a "statin" they will cause a sniffle and/or a dry cough. I guess the other choice is to go vegetarian and cut out bread and cheese.

My Dr. told me to cut out bread and cheese, and I told him to get me a pill....

Back