Hunting with solid colors instead of camo?

Dultimatpredator

You know I have more camouflage laying around that I know what to do with but I bulked up a little bit and noticed my camos are a little tight. I really don’t want to go out and buy new camos Since I have thousands of dollars worth of extremely high-quality Camo I’ve bought throughout the decades laying around and I’m already working on slimming down. . But I can guarantee you I’m not going to get enough off in the next few weeks for my clothes to be loose enough be comfortable for the now archery deer season. My question is I just picked up a carhartt jacket in moss green and figured is close in color to the green camo that I have in color and wondering if I can get away with it for up close predator ground hunting and bow hunting for a few weeks to a month until I fit into my regular camos again? It’s [beeep] getting old and out of shape! I mean if I really have to I can always go out and or buy some new camo... I just don’t want to if I don’t have to.

Anyone predator hunt or archery hunt deer in solid colors? I figure that moss green will match the tree in back of me for my tree stand pretty good and I’d still be wearing camouflage pants.

Last edited:
I use carhartt stuff quite a bit and don't recall ever wishing for more. I do use camo when I can, but if I have a little bit of a lunch break in a good area or have a chance to call on the way home from work, I don't let what I am wearing stop me. I try to sit where my outline is broken up, or situate a little brush or some tumble weeds to my advantage if I can. I have had them come in close wearing dark blue Wranglers, a denim jacket and black cowboy hat. (I was wearing that stuff, not the coyote, hehehe.)

I keep my ghillie suit in the truck all the time. That way you are always ready to hunt even in street clothes. I rarely even put on the pants and if I had to do over I'd just buy the poncho.

Maybe that will be my Christmas present to myself? lol

Camo is completely unnecessary for coyotes. The only camo I wear is sometimes a baseball cap for fun.

My hunting clothes are similar to my daily wear clothes: North Face or similar hiking style pants in grey or brown, quality synthetic weave shirt or moreno wool shirt, and quality packable outerwear like down or H2O proof from LLBean or North Face etc.

And all the times I’ve been out to Arizona I sure would think that Carhartt tan would work pretty slick in the washes. Almost like nat gear without the blotches.

Last edited:
Movement spooks game way more than color. I hunt in solid drab colored clothing all the time. As long as I don't get caught moving too much it doesn't matter.

I have camo that I do wear when I hunt but a lot of times I stop and make quick stands or unplanned hunts and don’t use any. Even when I’m wearing camo, I still wear blue jeans everyday. I agree with GC and suprsonddgslyr that being still is the key. A lot of guys question me when I’m guiding elk hunts about wearing my red plaid wool coat but I’ve put a lot of guys on elk with it on and killed my own. One of my favorite quotes by Fred Bear is “The best camo is sit down and be quiet. Your grandpa hunted in a red plaid coat.”

Wind and movement are your enemy. Camo is the least of my concerns and not at all necessary. Exhibit "A" is the avatar photo to the left of this comment, he was mouth called in to 18yds!

Originally Posted By: suprsongdgslyr You can wear a santa claus suit for hunting coyotes , as long as you ain't moving around .

yea I saw the video of I think it was Gerry Blair, with the santa suit. I bought one of his books.

Originally Posted By: jcs271Wind and movement are your enemy. Camo is the least of my concerns and not at all necessary. Exhibit "A" is the avatar photo to the left of this comment, he was mouth called in to 18yds!
Exactly

I have lip squeaked them in while deer hunting in orange hat and vest. I do wear camo when targeting yotes, but often with carhart pants

If im leaving the house with the sole intention of hunting i generally put my cammo on. Its not all matching and most of it has come from clearance racks. Having said that I've had lots of success in my everyday work clothes. Ill agree that keeping still and knowing when to move are far more important than camo though i certainly dont think it hurts when done right. I also think that sometimes camo does more harm than good, in my opinion i see lots of camo clothing out there both cheap and expensive that really shines in direct light.

I have dark green camo for sitting in front of Junipers and light brown or tan camo for laying in the tan grass or brownish low bushes.

Most of the time I think if you wear a solid color that is about the same color and shade as your surrounding color you will do fine. Some camo is way to dark or way to light to blend in with your surrounding colors.

In the Juniper country I hunt in Carhartt Tan pants with a darker solid green top would work great.

I try to call the coyotes up to within 10 to 15 yards so I can take pictures of them and shoot them with a shotgun. Quite often I have to sit in the sun to get the wind right so I always have camo on with camo gloves and a camo face mask.

I have called many coyotes in close, while wearing blaze orange and hunting big game.

Coyotes, deer and elk do not see color like humans, more like various shades of gray. Perhaps that's why they spot movement so well.

If I see blaze orange in my peripheral vision, was it the color, or the movement, that caught my attention?

A coyote's brain does not have to analyze that: he KNOWS it was movement that caught his attention.

Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator

Anyone predator hunt or archery hunt deer in solid colors? I figure that moss green will match the tree in back of me for my tree stand pretty good and I’d still be wearing camouflage pants.

I wear solids quite a bit. Primarily Tans, or light Greens, almost always with a ghillie hood to break up the silhouette.

It seems to be a touchy subject, this camouflage. Sure Coyotes detect motion, everything does. Ungulates included.

I personally think every camo pattern out there is scaled incorrectly and would love to work with someone in correcting this major error.

Camo is a massive benefit if properly used, and properly chosen. IF it wasn't, mother nature would of given deer fawns blaze orange monotone hair, and the Prairie Chickens fluorescent pink plumage.

I can sure tell you turkeys see blaze orange. Birds must be able to see all the colors of the rainbow I’m guessing or at least turkeys sure do. I’ve had turkeys bust me dozens of times from 50 to 200 yards away Completely motionless in my tree stand wearing blaze orange camo and they literally freak out. I’ve had several red fox and coyote walk by me while I’m wearing blaze orange in my tree stand.

Last edited:
Sexual dichromatism in birds tells you that birds that are active during the day see many colors. Most camouflage to me tends to blend to the dominant color in the pattern as distance increases, I'm sure this is the same for animals, depending on how acute their vision is. I like my camouflage to be slightly lighter in tone then the cover.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootSexual dichromatism in birds tells you that birds that are active during the day see many colors. Most camouflage to me tends to blend to the dominant color in the pattern as distance increases, I'm sure this is the same for animals, depending on how acute their vision is. I like my camouflage to be slightly lighter in tone then the cover.
+1
CC.jpg

Back