Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3217795 - 11/10/19 01:25 PM Re: Skunks and coyotes. [Re: OKRattler]
Softpoint Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Washington
Originally Posted By: OKRattler
I don't know how anyone could stand using skunk essence. I've been sprayed and it was bad enough I still feel nauseous when I smell one. I hate skunks with a passion. If I ever see a coyote coming to a call and it stops to kill a skunk I'm not killing it. That's a good coyote. Anything that actively hunts skunks and kills them is a good animal to keep around.

I believe the saying goes "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Having trapped many skunks as a NWCO the smell just grows on you..

#3217814 - 11/10/19 03:56 PM Re: Skunks and coyotes. [Re: OKRattler]
204 AR Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Nebraska
AWS that article confirmed what my Grandpa had said about skunks in the depression and after. They went so far as to gather them up when they came across a family in the summer. He said if you laid a cream can down on it's side close by you could herd them towards it and they'd go into the dark hole. Then they'd pen them up till the fur was prime. One skunk was worth several days pay back then when farm help was 50 cents to a dollar a day.

A law requiring fur be labeled accurately, ie no fake names, killed off the skunk market, as "sable" sounds a lot better than "skunk". My dad said when he was a kid one of their cats adopted a baby skunk and raised it with the other kittens. Said it was perfectly docile and didn't cause any trouble, until one day she brought them all into Grandma's house. Nothing happened, but that skunk wasn't seen again after that...

The guy who puts up my coyotes, said he put up 50 skunks for a local a couple years ago. I've seen skunk bed spreads, and they are gorgeous!

#3217821 - 11/10/19 04:23 PM Re: Skunks and coyotes. [Re: OKRattler]
OKRattler Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Ok Panhandle
A long time ago I asked a fur buyer what he'd pay for a skunk. He said don't even bother bringing one to him. That was pretty much the end of that conversation. I don't know of any fur buyer that wants them or opossums either one. I don't know if it's because of the smell or if there's no market for them. Maybe both.

#3217855 - 11/10/19 08:54 PM Re: Skunks and coyotes. [Re: OKRattler]
masshunter Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: western mass
Just shot a yote two weeks ago that was skunked up real bad. Back in the 60's I trapped and skinned a few skunks every season. It seemed to me that after a few minutes the smell just didn't bother me. I used to ship to F.C. Taylor in St. Louis I think, and Walter Carr in Southeastern Ma. don't think I got more than a couple bucks at the most. I was thirteen, fourteen, years old at the time.

#3217903 - 11/11/19 09:38 AM Re: Skunks and coyotes. [Re: OKRattler]
REID2168 Online
Die Hard Member

Loc: Indiana
I use scent tubes 1 or 2 at a time at my sets with urine at the call & skunk esscense somewhere on the way back to my seat & with glow markers on the tubes hung high to help keep the location of my call at night...….this helps me judge the coyotes position best I can and where they are in relation to my call when spotted.....tough where I call and i use the simple easy stuff to help... Good Luck!! thumbup1

p.s. im also not trying to cover my scent...….im only adding a bit more realism & curiosity to the sound they are called in on... Good Luck thumbup1

IMG_0068 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Edited by REID2168 (11/11/19 10:33 AM)

#3217908 - 11/11/19 10:59 AM Re: Skunks and coyotes. [Re: REID2168]
Smokin Pole Offline

Loc: Colorado
Like Softpoint, I have used Skunk scent as a cover for years. Got that little tidbit from Dr. Ed Sceery in New Mexico.

#3217960 - 11/11/19 05:54 PM Re: Skunks and coyotes. [Re: OKRattler]
pwhunter Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Missouri
I've trapped for several years. If you catch a possum, pull the trap, you'll never catch anything but another possum. Catch a skunk, remake your set, cause there's probably gonna be something good in it the next morning. There's a reason most K9 lures are based on skunk essence

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.