Love to hammer one from home!

204 AR

It usually works out, about once a year, that I can walk from the house to one of the neighbors' fields and call one in. I especially love when one of those fields is unpicked corn. They love those fields.

Monday after work the wind was right and very light, grass was wet and quiet and I hiked the 700 yds to a shallow draw and set up opposite the corn right about sundown. About 3 minutes into "hen pheasant" I hear some roosters cackle. About 2 more minutes this guy appears on the horizon. I had ranged that hill at 230 yds. He just wouldn't come closer with any sound I tried so finally after I watched him pace back and forth he sat down and I let the Wssm bark. Ended up being a large, kind of reddish male. I had to finish him as the first shot must have spined him but missed vitals. Collected him up and had a long drag back home. As I was hanging him up, another couple of coyotes sounded off in that same direction. Who knows if there had been more daylight, might have doubled or tripled.

CEJBQ7Wl.jpg

It was a nice shot in the arm, as my other couple of hunts have been kind of a crap show so far. The first stand of the year went as planned, but after that it seemed to go downhill.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Good start to a new season. Hopefully it will continue.

What rifle, caliber, load etc.?

My 243 Wssm Ar with 87 gr vmax. Absolute laser.

Originally Posted By: BangPopLooks like you hit him pretty good to me. I can't figure how he didn't crash and burn on the spot.

I couldn't figure it out either. He was kind of skunky smelling so I didn't examine lol. The one in the throat was the first shot of course.

I've got 2 stands within 200 yards of the house, 1 more @ 350 and 2 more within a half mile. One of those is on the neighbor. Those accounted for 9 coyotes last year. My wife gives me a hard time for traveling all over to call and then she sees bobcats and coyotes in the yard.
That's a pretty good looking November coyote. WTG

Back