450 Bushmaster Speer Deep Curl and Lil gun

Bullmastiff

I know it's been a while since I've been around, but life's been busy. My oldest son picked up a 450 upper for his AR and has done quite a bit of reloading for it. But now that he's a college boy, he's trying to make his funds stretch farther. We can get the deep curls cheaper than Hornady or other bullets. Does anyone have any load data using the deep curls and lil gun? Speer doesn't for the 450 bushmaster for some reason. If there are any other options, let me know. Thanks.

just a point to note about lil gun in the 450... for projo's from 200-250gr or so - and some even a bit heavier than that - somewhere right around 38 grains seems to be a magic number. use 36 as a starting point and work up from there.

dont expect beautiful ES/SD numbers, but the accuracy should fall in there. its almost eerie every time someone finds another projo that shoots well with that load.

also rem 7½ primers seem to be the magic sauce, although i've had luck with cci 450's and even 400's with that load. no appreciable chrono difference between the 450 and the 7½ in two different guns ive got to play with them in.

taper crimp (hornady taper crimp die, not the lee FCD) to around 0.473-0.474 as close to the case mouth as you can measure without falling off.

cheapeast plinking bullet i've found is the 225 ftx. again 38 gr Lil gun, crimped to ~0.473 and a rem 7½ @ roughly 2.120" oal or so (right in the cannelure).

this also happens to be a VERY accurate bullet for the 450... if you cant get one of these to shoot...

Also... watch for blems/2nds to come on sale.. last batch i bought up a bunch of them was under $0.20/ea delivered. cost per round on these loaded for me is roughly $0.35 per squeeze.
smile.gif

Just getting ready to load up some 200gr Barnes XPB's with lilgun and 7 1/2 primers in Starline brass should be able to move them along pretty good.
Hoping to get to the range tomorrow with the magneto speed and try out some loads

Back