I want a 6.8 SPC

kwg020

But, I'm stuck on barrel length. and profile. 16" or 18" and standard or light weight ? I have been looking at Columbia River Arms barrels and I like the light weight profile. Is there any big velocity advantage of the 18" over the 16" and how much more does the standard barrel weight over the light weight barrel ??

I can only say I want the mid length gas system verses the carbine system.

It's paralysis by analysis.

https://columbiariverarms.com/configure-your-custom-barrel/configure-your-68-spc-ii-2/
kwg

I use a 16" bison armory recon and a 18" bison SPR. I built these 2 rifles for 2 different styles of hunting. The 16" is my walking gun ( I cover over 15 miles a day walking). The 18" is for stand hunting. I only hunt this away when I take the kids out. As for your question on velocity, it will depend on ammo/bullet choice. There won't be much of a difference in performance out to 200 yds. As for the barrel profile, that depends on how you hunt. My 18" is a heavy build. Kids love shooting it due to lack of felt recoil. My 16" is as lite as I care to make it in that cal. I get less fatigued packing it all day as opposed to my 18". So, my recommendation is build the one that suits your style. Happy Hunting.

I’ve had 16” and 20”, but my current 6.8’s are 18” and 10.5”. I have a mid-length gas system on the 18”, pistol length on the 10.5”, JP adjustable gas blocks on both.

6.8 was designed for short barrels to replace the 556(which was designed around 20 inch) in all the SBRs that military guys are carrying around now, I haven't seen exact numbers but past 16 inch in a 6.8 you aren't making much gains.

Hello all, thanks for the input.
This is probably more for a walking around gun. I wonder if someone has done the cut and test with a 6.8 ? I mean where someone has cut down a 6.8 barrel an inch at a time to see velocity differences. I have not heard of or seen one on YouTube or other gun forums.

The only other use would be for pig or coyote hunting. We can't hunt deer in Iowa with a bottle neck case. The 16" is so darn handy but I don't want to give up velocity if I really need it. I guess I could send Columbia River Arms an email asking for the weights of the barrels.

kwg

I have been running the 6.8 SPC for hogs for about 8 years. I build my own and prefer the AR15 Performance melonite barrels. I have had better accuracy from the 11 twist barrel vs the 10 twist using 110 grain ammo. I went with the 16 inch Socom profile for most of my builds. If you want to trim a little weight you could go with the Scout profile.

From what I have gathered the 6.8SPC was designed to run with a 16 inch barrel and the ammo is generally configured with a burn rate that is compatible with that length. That being said I doubt there is a lot to gain with an 18 inch barrel in that caliber.

I am currently building a 12.5 inch SBR in 6.8 SPC using the their 3R 11 twist pistol barrel. I also order one of their 9310 head spaced Super Bolts to go with each barrel.

https://ar15performance.com/6_8_barrels

You can get a complete upper with AR15 Performance parts if you don't want to build your own.

https://www.blackstonearms.com/category-s/100.htm

A suppressed 6.8SPC with an adjustable gas block is the best all around hog rifle IMO.

Last edited:

I bought a Bushmaster AR15 in 6,8mm SPC II before they sold the company. 6,8mm is my favorite.
I have a twenty-year supply of Silver State ammo. Silver State and Remington were the only two places to buy ammo at that time.
I have enjoyed deer and yote hunting with my 6,8mm SPC II.
I am glad to see that you guys like the 6,8mm.
We need to thank the Germans in WW2 for the Sturmgewehr 44. They gave us the first assault rifle.

I really like my 6.8 I put together on a side charger and 16" ARPERFORMANCE barrel. I had a 22" because I was worried about velocity and not so much weight but sold it for the 16" due to running suppressed now. You will see less than 100FPS difference. That's just my findings and could be more could be less. The 90gr Gold dots are my go to bullet because they are cheap,well built and easy to load. Yet to shoot a deer with them but they have absolutely flattened the dogs so far

Another vote here for Bison Armory barrels, I have two 18" builds using their barrels and they both shoot the Hornady 120gr SST sub MOA.

My preferred powder is AA2200 and the load combo is just plain deadly on deer, coyote, and large swamp hogs.

All in all I have three 6.8 18" builds, two with Bison barrels and one with a White Oak Armory barrel.

My 16" 6.8 build has an AR Performance barrel and so far the best I'm getting with it is about 1 1/4-1 1/2 MOA... but I will admit that's due to limited testing of loads and bullets. Based on reviews I suspect it is capable of better performance, but hey, it's a hunting rifle so in reality it's accurate enough for intended needs.

All I've pretty much carried hunting for quite a few years, built 16" guns using barrels from MDWS, and AR15 perf. Currently have a 12.5 AR15 performance and a LWRC Six8.

16 or 18 will do what you want. I have 2 16” inchers, 1 18” and 1 12.5. All are ARPerformance barrels and are very accurate. I have also built several for friends in the 16 and 18 range and they can’t believe how well these barrels shoot. I have heard many old timers say on the 6.8 forum that 18 is the best all around barrel for that caliber. That being said if you don’t reload and push it to the limit there will probably very little difference between the two. I sent my 18 off and had it wrought iron fluted to take away some weight but honestly there wasn’t much difference between them to begin with. Just wanted it to look cool. Lol

I have the upper and lower I want to use and I recently got a Ballistic Advantage BCG, mid length gas tube and charging handle. I have spent my gun budget for the month so I have another month to decide on which barrel I want. There are a whole bunch to choose from. I didn't realize there were so many options.
kwg

I love my 6.8 SPC ll...I have a 16" stag arms 5R 1-11 twist barrel and I have wore out some hogs and a few deer with it. I prefer the 16" barrel because I run it suppressed and didn't want the extra couple of inches in length. I run Hornady 110 grain black box ammo and have yet to have a hog run off with a well placed shot in the ear or just below the ear. I just don't see you getting any great advantage running 18 over a 16" barrel....JMHO...good luck with which ever you choose you'll enjoy the 6.8

Originally Posted By: larrybI love my 6.8 SPC ll...I have a 16" stag arms 5R 1-11 twist barrel and I have wore out some hogs and a few deer with it. I prefer the 16" barrel because I run it suppressed and didn't want the extra couple of inches in length. I run Hornady 110 grain black box ammo and have yet to have a hog run off with a well placed shot in the ear or just below the ear. I just don't see you getting any great advantage running 18 over a 16" barrel....JMHO...good luck with which ever you choose you'll enjoy the 6.8

It's strange how much 2" of barrel length can change things, I am in total agreement.

Back