Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3217625 - 11/08/19 06:40 PM TTSX or Sierra Game Changer
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
Both shoot really well in my 270. Is one a lot better than the other?

#3217633 - 11/08/19 07:21 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
ackleyman Online
PM senior

Loc: Hickville
Define "better"

#3217635 - 11/08/19 07:56 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
zr600 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: North dakota
What are you shooting? For deer I would just choose one and go shoot a deer. Lol

#3217638 - 11/08/19 08:08 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Better meaning killing power I guess. I hear a lot of good things about the Barnes and I like Sierra bullets but the Game Changer is kinda the new kid on the block. I've not killed anything with either of these bullets. Just curious if any of the mass's had opinions.

#3217653 - 11/08/19 11:23 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
Yotarunner Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Far east central alberta
well the tsx line of bullets are well renowned for awesome penetration and amazing ability to stay together. the game changers look to be another cup and core style bullet thats just made to be really accurate. if you hunt elk or moose or any of the larger game i would use the ttsx for the penetration. if deer are the only game on the menu then find out which one is cheaper and readily available and use it as both will drop a deer just fine.

#3217655 - 11/09/19 12:37 AM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Actually they are both about the same price +/- a dollar or two. Both are hard to find locally. Seems no one in the Tulsa area shoots many Barnes bullets in the larger calibers and the Game Changers are just starting to hit the stores. Deer is the only thing they will be used on. I have some of each loaded so I'll shoot them both and chrony them as well. Guess I'll decide then. Probably won't matter much as deer aren't that tough to kill and either should work just fine. Kinda leaning towards the Barnes mainly due to their reputation of being a tough bullet.

Edited by pyscodog (11/09/19 12:41 AM)

#3217692 - 11/09/19 01:02 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
K-22hornet. Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Colorado
I have been a Barnes user since 1992, in fact, they are all I use for big game, and also in my 22 Hornet for coyotes.

They seem to 'upgrade' the cartridge being used, when they hit game. For example, a 243 works more like a 25-06, a 270 like a 300Win, the Hornet like a 223.

Way back in January/February of 1992, I was reading an article about reloading the 223. The author was the first guy in the U.S. to get hold of a .22cal X bullet, as the first years production of them went to Australia.

What caught my attention about the X, was when the author shot several x bullets into ballistic gel blocks, and the blocks expanded so violently that they knocked the adjacent block off the table. He shot the X out of a Contender, at about 2,600fps MV, about what my Hornet did (pre-Lilgun). No other bullet, at normal 223 speeds, could do that.

So, I bought a box of 45gr X bullets for the Hornet, and noticed a reduction in the runners and floppers I had (coyotes), compared to any other bullet I tried.

To this day, I use the 45gr XLC's in my Hornet for coyotes. When I run out of those, I'll use the 45gr TSX.

#3217694 - 11/09/19 01:55 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
204 AR Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Nebraska
I'm not a huge big game shooter, but the Barnes bullets have never let me down in any way. Next weekend it will be time to try the 110 TTSX in the 30 RAR on deer. I'm 100% sure what will happen when I squeeze the trigger, and I like that feeling.

#3217739 - 11/09/19 09:24 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

I've heard the Barnes bullets like a pretty good jump to the lands. Have you guys noticed that or do you seat them out like any other bullet?

#3217748 - 11/09/19 10:36 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
204 AR Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Nebraska
No, jump them. They have never been tough for me to get good accuracy.

#3217753 - 11/09/19 11:18 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
6mm06 Online
PM senior

Loc: USA

No experience with the Game Changer, but I have used Barnes TSX in larger calibers such as 7mmSTW and .338 Win Mag. The STW has accounted for multiple Wyoming antelope and a couple of mule deer with a 140 gr. TSX. I used the .338 on a whitetail buck with a 225 gr. TSX that did considerably less damage than you would expect from a typical 30-06. (Please, no over-kill comments. I enjoy doing things different sometimes). My son used a .300 Remington Ultra Mag and a 168 gr. TSX to drop a 360 yard antelope. Performance has always been excellent, with most hitting the dirt instantly. I also used a .308 with a 130 gr. TTSX on a 200 plus pound Georgia hog, dropping it right there.

Accuracy has been excellent in my rifles, unlike many other premium big game bullets that may penetrate well, but lack in accuracy. I have only experienced one rifle that did not like the TSX, and that is an AR chambered in 6x45.

We all know that we don’t “need” premium bullets to drop deer, and conventional bullets work just fine and have for ages. For me, however; the performance is worth the cost. If I didn’t have accuracy with the Barnes, then they would lose appeal, or if the bullets we accurate but didn’t perform well, appeal would also be lost, but when you have both accuracy and performance, it makes for pleasant and rewarding shooting.

#3217760 - 11/10/19 04:04 AM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
Bear Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Colorado USA
I shoot Barnes bullets and they like a jump of about 0.050. Start there and adjust closer or farther with what your rifle likes. Barnes recommends a 0.050 jump to start with,and that is what my Browning and Ruger like in 300 win mag.

#3217818 - 11/10/19 04:10 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
7887mm08 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: upstate n.y.
I sometimes shoot the barnes in my 6mm rem 788. DO NOT SHOOT DEER IN THE SHOULDERS IF YOUR MEAT HUNTING! Unbelievable damage and meat loss. They flat out hammer!

#3217877 - 11/10/19 11:59 PM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Shot my 270 today and decided to go with the Barnes TTSX bullets. I got good accuracy and I have plenty of them on the shelf as well. Now one more range trip just to double check my zero and I'm ready for opening morning. Hopefully my black powder buck has a big brother running around chasing the girls.

#3217911 - 11/11/19 11:19 AM Re: TTSX or Sierra Game Changer [Re: pyscodog]
WyoBull Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Wyoming
I shoot Barnes bullets exclusively in my big game calibers, 7mm RUM and 375 H&H. I would shoot them in my 220 Swift if I did not already have a kick a_ _ go to load.

I load mine at .050 off the lands and get great accuracy. They are a great bullet and absolutely hammer the big game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.