Banged up

Rimrock1

I have owned Honda Trail 90 motorcycles for a lot of years. I take it to the mountains when we go camping just to ride on the logging roads. I have packed deer and elk quarters with no problem. For the last several years I have used it to navigate ranches while coyote hunting, Yesterday I was on a ranch trying to do the rancher a favor and dispose of a suspected calf killer. I was riding a cow trail next to a pretty steep little draw when the front tire hit a rock and jerked the bike to the right and right toward the draw. I certainly did not want to go there so I quite unceramoniously and suddenly laid it down an its left side. I got it upright and horsed it back to the trail. It had died and after a little inspection I determined that the spark plug wire had been disconnected. Fixed that and it fired right up. Only damage to the bike was a bent mirror that I broke trying to straighten.

Me, not so lucky. Scrapes and abrasions on both legs, a knot on my elbow the size of a tennis ball, and a very sore shoulder and ribs. No, I didn't get the coyote. I can hardly wait to get back out there and give it another go. My wife says that a motorcycle is nothing for an 83 year old man to be riding anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks Rimrock, you make me feel young. I am 69 and going places I shouldn't always go. My wife thinks I'm crazy. She doesn't know how crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted By: ZThanks Rimrock, you make me feel young. I am 69 and going places I shouldn't always go. My wife thinks I'm crazy. She doesn't know how crazy sometimes.

it is better they dont know. if they knew the half of it they would have a heart attack.

I ride real 4 legged mules which I raise and train.

I hunt pheasants off one, following my shorthair.

I realized a couple of years ago that I could have a heart attack and die walking in heavy grass following a pushy dog. Or I could ride a mule that I already owned, could get bucked off and crash, so whats the difference? Might as well have an adventure. I've been walking after roosters for 50 years and I kinda know how it goes.

The mule works great, I follow the dog as fast as he wants to go,stop and get off when the dog should point, the mule leads with the lead rope draped over my arm. I load my double and walk up on the bird. Maybe I'm lucky, probably not.

And yes I have had some pretty good wrecks over the years.

mulespurs that is the way to do it sounds like to me. Have had horses but never had a good mule. I feel like I missed something by not having mules. Some years ago I wanted but never got a coon hunting mule.
I would still think about a mule if I knew of a good one.
How long does it take to get them used to the shot?

Maybe not bad at all.

You need to provide a stimulus, lets say the noise and quit when they quit resisting. Stop when they stop fighting and wait a moment and start again. short version

When they see that it takes more energy to resist than just put up with the noise in this case, they quit resisting.

That's the short version but kinda how it works. And by the way, I do all this stuff on the ground, before I am in the saddle.

I've trained a few horses to shoot off their backs, never a mule. Start by shooting a rimfire a good 30 or 40 yards away then work closer and louder, we always had one guy on the horse and another shooting until someone worked up the balls to try shooting off their back for the first time, which was always me because my buddy had such a bad back he would be in a wheel chair if bucked off.

There's even large foam ear plugs for horses, I've had a harder time getting them used to foam in their ears than the gun shots though. My next adventure is I want to get one trained to shoot archery off their back.

Back