Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3184982 - 01/13/19 12:17 AM Re: Any one use Basset hounds for hunting rabbits? [Re: NY Yote hunter]
Californiadoggers Offline
Predator Master

Loc: California
you'll need fast dog for rabbit

#3200025 - 04/01/19 01:05 PM Re: Any one use Basset hounds for hunting rabbits? [Re: NY Yote hunter]
Bloodhound Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: NY Yote hunter
Red Frog that is a pretty cool story!!! One thing for sure is that those bassets are probally the funniest dogs alive! I let her chase some rabbits about a 3 weeks ago. She did ok, I am sure there are some things I could do to make her better.

Would love to see pics

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD

#3202227 - 04/25/19 04:21 PM Re: Any one use Basset hounds for hunting rabbits? [Re: NY Yote hunter]
Bloodhound Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Colorado
I did some searching and found some video of Bassets running rabbits. The rabbits kind of strolled past the hunter and one of the guys was rolling them with a .22 The dogs in the video had shorter ears than some of the show dogs you see...for some reason show crowd thinks is OK for the dog to step on his own ears. These dogs had longer ears than a beagle but not dragging. I have owned 2 Bassets and they are very fun!

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD

#3202386 - 04/27/19 09:19 AM Re: Any one use Basset hounds for hunting rabbits? [Re: NY Yote hunter]
willy1947 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Ohio, Ohio

My Dad had Basset hounds. They have a great nose and run rabbits slowly so they do not hole up.
We had one female that we used for grouse. She would slow when she was on sent.
Great dogs to find a downed bird. Make good pets for the kids.
Ours liked to work alone, not in a pack.

#3203330 - 05/09/19 10:15 PM Re: Any one use Basset hounds for hunting rabbits? [Re: NY Yote hunter]
hunthunt1313 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Thanks

#3203572 - 05/13/19 04:59 PM Re: Any one use Basset hounds for hunting rabbits? [Re: NY Yote hunter]
Fur Taker Offline
Predator Master

Loc: NY
I use to run beagles. Bassets are good for cottontail, not snow snowshoe. Their better for slower shooters. Lol

#3208931 - 07/31/19 02:02 AM Re: Any one use Basset hounds for hunting rabbits? [Re: Fur Taker]
Indiyote Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Indiana
We have 2 bassets that I love dearly. Never hunted them but I will say the one HATES the raccoons that come on our back deck with a passion. She will just sit and look out the window watching for them lol

#3217555 - 11/07/19 08:37 PM Re: Any one use Basset hounds for hunting rabbits? [Re: NY Yote hunter]
dachswalker Offline

Loc: indiana
I have used bassets and they are great. Slower overall than beagles which results in less loss and quicker checks. Most of mine got too smart for their own good after a period of time. They would run the bunny when jumped until the beagles came in and took over. Then the basset would come back to me and listen for the beagles bringing the rabbit back. At that time they would go out and end up turning the rabbit and I would not get as many quality shots. They were faster than a beagle when the rabbit was jumped.
Now use a beagle and dachshunds. Not as many rabbits but lots of fun and fewer long deer runs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  DesertRam 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.